On The Beat - Episode 638 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 7, 2022

TGNeil

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:34 pm

Happy New Year!... And here is the first update of 2022 -

January 7, 2022

I have still have Get Back, the Beatles recent documentary playing in the background around here, although I think it has just about run its course. It inspired most of our recent lessons and packs, as well as the first couple tunes I picked out. Over the last couple weeks we added a lesson on The Beatles' I've Got A Feeling, as done on Apple Studios roof on January 30, 1969, and George Harrison's early demo Everybody, Nobody, which evolved into Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp from All Things Must Pass.

We also added a bunch of new packs with lessons based on different albums: Help, Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road, Let It Be, and All Things Must Pass. Many of these have bonus songs, some are 10-Packs but all priced as 5-Packs.

Some musical excerpts that popped up today included Jerry Reed's Blues Land and an abstract stab at some Mark Knopfler at the end. I also addressed a few comments from recent posts on our Forum.

Neil

Craig

Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:49 pm

Neil,

Glad all is well with you and the family.

For the trivia chord progression question, I hear "Melissa".

Craig

TGNeil

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Thanks Craig!

Melissa is one of them, and the other predates both of those by a couple years.

Neil

jayswett

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:54 pm

Neil,
Your comment about potentially focusing this year on some intricate fingerpicking songs was of interest to me. Here are two that I'd like to learn: Living in the Country by Peter Seeger (Leo Kottke's version also amazing) and Black Orpheus. I'll be spending some time with your drip feed lesson of the Fisherman this month.

Any thoughts on where you plan on taking this website during the course of this year? Any specific projects, courses, or themes you and Matt plan on pursuing? Just thought I'd ask.

Jay

TGNeil

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi Jay,

Nice to hear from you and I'm glad you're thinking of working on The Fisherman. I am definitely planning on more instrumentals soon, possibly including Black Orpheus.

And Matt and I are always looking for requests and possible directions so any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Neil

jayswett

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:41 pm

I've been thinking about this "direction" question and have been struggling to answer it I just don't know enough about guitar playing and teaching in general to provide an intelligent suggestion. However, it occurred to me last week that one of your lessons from maybe ten years ago remains very memorable to me, and that was the lesson on Hallelujah. One of the segments was a video of you just thinking through how you might learn it, transpose it or change it, and just seeing how you think things through was the component of that lesson that stood out to me.

I don't recall having seen anything like that since. I know there are some ear training lessons, but would a series detailing "How I learn a song" be useful? If you merely refer me back to the ear training series, I'll be happy to go back and have another look at that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic