On The Beat - Episode 641 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 28, 2022

TGNeil

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:02 pm

January 28, 2022

John Renbourn's Snap A Little Owl popped into my head just as I started the camera and I figured I might as well see what kind of shape it was in. As you will see it was a bit rusty and glitchy but still fun. That led me into Stefan Grossman's Bermuda Triangle Exit, which is linked due to being on the same duet album of theirs.

I did a full run through of White Bird, having finally gotten that lesson rolling, with a few parts still being polished up. I expect to get that finished relatively soon (waiting on a new computer to get back in better video production mode).

Ended today with some thoughts on the recent Atlantic article that was linked on our Forum, and some improvising.

Neil

dougyoung

Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:03 am

Nice to hear Bermuda Triangle Exit!

You might get a kick out of this version I just recently recorded with Teja Gerken. Even tho on the record it's just a solo Stefan tune, we decided to try to treat it more like their duets, adding a 2nd part and extending it a bit. In this case, I'm playing electric guitar on it, as John did occasionally.

jayswett

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:22 pm

Two comments:

1) White Bird.is a great song and it's one of the few songs that I remember the moment I heard it for the first time, driving from Virginia Beach to Durham, NC. Anyway, thanks for putting it up. Can't wait to get to it after I've spent some time with The Fisherman. Both will be prolonged projects for me, but no doubt rewarding and fun.

2) Good on Neil Young. Spotify is supporting someone who is promoting misinformation related to this once in a century pandemic. Most in the physician/scientist community would agree that this is leading to unnecessary mortality for those avoiding vaccination due to this type of misinformation. I admire Neil Young for taking a stand and hope others do the same.

Sorry for the politics, but it had to be said. Obviously, feel free to delete. It's a guitar website, not a political one.

Jay

jayswett

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:27 pm

And one other thing.. It's always good to see Doug Young's name. He is also a fabulous guitar player and instructor and I love the lessons he has on this site. Some are beyond my skill level, but I find myself watching them anyway just for the sheer enjoyment of it. I met him at one of your guitar camps and learned alot from his classes and DADGD book.

TGNeil

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks for posting that Doug. Great job on putting the duet together. And it does sound like something John would have done in the Pentangle days. I did see a post about you guys doing this but didn't get to checking it out at the time.
Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic