On The Beat - Episode 647 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 11, 2022

TGNeil

Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:26 pm

March 11, 2022

I had a lesson the other day with a student who wanted to work on George Harrison’s early song I Need You, for The Beatles’ 1965 album and movie Help! I felt pretty sure we had a lesson on it here at TG, but no, it had never made the cut before. I hope to remedy that soon and started today’s Update with an improvised run through it. I should get to a full lesson on it soon.

The big news, for me at least, was finding the time to finish up White Bird. It turned out to be 13 segments and 9 pages of music. I hope somebody enjoys working on at least some parts of it. I don’t think I put a full run through in the lesson, other than the rough draft from a few years ago, so I played one at the end of this video.

Wrapping that up finally opens the door to get to work on more lessons, and particularly the next instrumental. I played a couple bits of things in the running, and I am heavily leaning toward I Am The Light Of This World, which I know will appeal to a bunch of our Community.

I also took a little time to talk about harmonics, particularly using them to tune strings that are a fourth or fifth apart. This is useful for getting into Dropped D. That led to some other suggestions of tunes in either that or Double Dropped D, and some random improvising, which somehow turned into a couple tunes you should recognize. Answers next week.

See you then,

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:28 am

Great to hear the dropped D suggestions.... Dear Prudence now has my attention. Love White Bird, its become my favourite tune to hear you play. It could only have come out of California at that time, pretty iconic of the time and place.

scott E

Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:19 am

Yep, White Bird was a wonderful addition to the library. Sadly I can't access that lesson or any other again. It's far more important that the folks that keep the wheels turning are safe. So if there is a work around or back door for finding lessons , someone please let me know.

SCott

TGNeil

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Hi Scott,

Not sure what the issue is but I had to log out then back in to get to the White Bird lesson. Give that a try.

Neil

scott E

Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:54 pm

Well Neil, mine is working fine again. No worries.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic