On The Beat - Episode 667 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 29, 2022

TGNeil

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:58 pm

July 29, 2022

I looked at the calendar this morning and was surprised that it said ‘Friday, July 29’, mainly because of all the commotion around here the last couple days. With all the action and movements, I thought we had just gone through a weekend’s worth of projects and was exhausted. Details lead off the Update and hopefully the upcoming weekend will be somewhat restful.

There were a lot of things on the Forum this week, and last, that got my attention. One of which was the request for a lesson on Mexico by James Taylor. I could have sworn I had done that a few years ago, but then realized it was still under construction and I had wandered off the path somehow. Imagine that! Regardless, I got back on it and the lesson on Mexico is live now.

Other projects this week included working on packs. There are now two new James Taylor packs, one featuring early songs from Sweet Baby James, and another with songs mostly from the next album, Mud Slide Slim. We also added an Al Stewart 7-Pack and updated the Emerson, Lake & Palmer pack by adding lessons on Trilogy and Take A Pebble.

I also found some videos missing in our Intros, Riffs & Licks Package which I fixed. That reminded me of how cool I thought that package was and how fun some of those songs are to play, like Funk #49, Life In The Fast Lane, and stuff by AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

Today’s tip was a suggestion on some arpeggio patterns, particularly ones used in a few TG lessons that are a good place to start to improve your fingerpicking techniques. One of the keys is to work on not looking at your right hand. I got slightly sidetracked talking about percussive right-hand techniques, but I will get to more of that next week.

And on that note…

I will see you next week,

Neil