On The Beat - Episode 669 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 12, 2022

TGNeil

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:17 pm

August 12, 2022

Today I opened with a short practice session where I am relearning a passage I have played the same way for over 40 years. I recently took a new look at it and decided it was time to change the fingering I had settled on long ago. It brought back fond memories of meeting and playing with John Renbourn, and a renewed interest in mastering a part I have slogged through for too long.

The new stuff this week included a lot of instrumentals, including a couple new packs and a very challenging lesson on Bruce Cockburn’s If I Had A Rocket Launcher. It has been quite a while since I categorized a song as advanced, but I think that one qualifies.

Two of the new packs were instrumentals, Bob McAlpine’s Classic Rock Solos and Intermediate Fingerpicking Solos Volume 2. We also had a new one on Carole King songs, which are also somewhat difficult.

The short tip of the week was on right hand position when fingerpicking. I talked a bit about difficulties a couple students were having lately and went into some ideas to make things smoother on the picking end.

And that was it, ending with a short improv in the key of A.

See you next week,

Neil

scott E

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:37 am

I think that's the first time I've ever seen you struggle with something. You are human :D
As far as Snap a little owl, I've be fascinated by that tune ever since I heard you play it years ago. And as much as I'd love a lesson on it, honestly, I don't have enough time left in my life to learn how to play it. You may have students who can, but I couldn't.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic