On The Beat - Episode 719 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 4, 2023

TGNeil

Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:19 pm

August 4, 2023

This week I revisited and updated one of our Original 50 TARGET lessons (TARGET was an acronym for something I can’t remember and was our first monthly subscription program) – Lindsay Buckingham’s Never Going Back Again. The update shows the way he played it in Dropped D rather than the modified version in Dropped C. The Dropped D version is a bit more challenging but does allow for the relatively easy solo Lindsay added to it in live versions over the years.

I also finished up a lesson on Steve Stills tune Go And Say Goodbye. The lesson goes over a couple guitar parts as found on the Buffalo Springfield recording, including the leads, and includes some differences found in Poco’s cover a few years later. There is also a Campfire Version, the way Richie Furay plays it acoustically to this day.

I wandered off into a few different topics, including a message from Laurence Juber about his traveling band playing Rubber Soul and Band On The Run in their entirety, Randy Bachman and speculation on the opening chord to A Hard Days Night, songs and exercises to work on hybrid picking, and some tips on learning the notes on the 6th and 5th strings.

All that rambling was wrapped up with a little improv based on a couple of my favorite progressions and songs

Off to see LJ and Shakespeare this weekend…

Neil