On The Beat - Episode 741 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 19, 2024

TGNeil

Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:48 pm

January 19, 2024

After being totally caught up in John Renbourn's arrangement of The Earle Of Salisbury for way too long, the lesson is finally finished and I can get back to work on some of the projects on side burners. This trip down memory lane for me sent me back to two books that were huge in the early days of my musical journey–Contemporary Ragtime Guitar by Stefan Grossman and Renbourn's Guitar Pieces.

Today I play bits of a lot of those tunes, including, Dallas Rag, Ladye Nothinges Toye Puffe, Judy, Debbie Anne, A Day at The Seaside, Another Monday, Faro's Rag and My Dear Boy. I think more Renbourn lessons are in the cards.

I want to recommend a great album of Renbourn's tunes as reinterpreted by the fantastic English guitarist Clive Carroll. Be sure to check out his album The Abbot.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was working on lists of songs that are required learning (in my book at least) for students of all levels. This week I chose My My Hey Hey as an example of one of those. There are a lot of different things to pay attention to, depending on your current level.

This Update ended with some improvised musings on that Neil Young song.

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil