Crazy camp-inspired idea - TG virtual open mic

kanefsky

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:13 am

Needless to say you'd probably want to use an external directional microphone and spend a few minutes finding the best position, adjusting levels, etc. If your guitar has a pickup you could also use a DI interface right into your computer. I like this one a lot:

--
Steve

jimcjimc

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:49 am

Lots of good ideas here - you might want to try both,

I would agree with Lynn - perhaps start it as a member initiated idea as opposed to creating more work for the TG gang.

Michele - you could start a busking thread, like the 3 or 4 chord thread of early last year

Steve - you could have a signup for an initial hangout and pick a time that works for those who express an interest

Great ideas - keep the inspiration flowing!

kanefsky

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Sounds good. I think at first it would be very casual and we'd just get used to the technology. Everyone could join with guitars in hand and we could do some sound checks to make sure we can all hear each other and discuss where we want to take it from there. The cool thing is that since it's so easy to jump from one person to another compared to a real open mic, there's no reason someone couldn't just play a couple bars of a song or even just a chord change they were having trouble with to get some feedback long before they were ready to perform an entire song. It could be as formal or informal as we want it to be.

--
Steve

willem

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:54 pm

kanefsky wrote:
Sounds good. I think at first it would be very casual and we'd just get used to the technology. Everyone could join with guitars in hand and we could do some sound checks to make sure we can all hear each other and discuss where we want to take it from there. The cool thing is that since it's so easy to jump from one person to another compared to a real open mic, there's no reason someone couldn't just play a couple bars of a song or even just a chord change they were having trouble with to get some feedback long before they were ready to perform an entire song. It could be as formal or informal as we want it to be.

--
Steve

I saw in your example vids someone was leading the stuff,,,and went from one person to the other,,so I guess when we(if) do a tryout you start the whole thing up and combine us????????

What must we do first to be part of this? I did install G+ today and was a bit of experimenting with it..

Willem

kanefsky

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:57 pm

If you're on a Mac or PC you shouldn't need much more than your standard browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari plus a webcam (which is often built in to newer computers). You'll need a Google username and password of course. You should already have one if you post YouTube videos or use Android, Gmail, Google Docs, Calendar, Groups, etc. Otherwise you can create one at https://accounts.google.com/SignUp

On iPhone/iPad/Android (e.g. Samsung Galaxy), you'll need to download the Google Hangouts app. On Android it might be pre-installed if you have a newer phone. It'll probably be tricker to position a tablet or especially a phone to get a good view of you with your guitar and to be able to see everyone else at the same time.

Remember that in either case you'd ideally want an external microphone, but it's not absolutely required.

What I would need to do is setup a Google+ circle (kind of like a Facebook group) with everyone that might want to participate, so I'd need to collect the email addresses y'all are using for your Google accounts. I would then start the hangout and invite the circle and the hangout would show up on my YouTube page and on my Google+ page and you should be able to click and join.

Working out these sorts of details is why I wouldn't expect to get much done the first time. We'll just be working on getting everyone connected at first :). Some of this is new to me as well because they've been changing things, and the way it works inside Google for video conferencing (which is how I'm used to using it) is a bit different.

--
Steve

thereshopeyet

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Michelle Wrote:
So who's first? Daryl? Chris? Kevin? Dermot? Cori? Lynn? Ness? Step up, this could be a heap of fun.
Not sure I'd be up for that Michelle, well not at the moment.
Open Mic certainly isn't the same as sitting in front of a camera, well the camera doesn't throw tomatoes !!!
Don't say it.... "What Videos" !!! :P
An audience on the other hand might.

The concept of finding somewhere doing a performance be it inside or outside, in front of people and videoing it to upload,
is for sure a challenge and needs a reasonable degree of confidence to pull it off.

Never say never eh?

But never :dry: I meant not at the moment !!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Look what happened to this poor guy, he needs an operation now!!!
It's sure dangerous :ohmy: :woohoo:

michelew

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Michele and Steve,
Both ideas are intriguing. It sounds like either could be organized quite easily. I'd hate to put any more work on Neil or Matt. Having a separate open mic channel might be nice, so that one could just watch and let them play one after another. I did that with the collaboration channel yesterday and it was cool to see all of those.

I also think that the occasional "hangout on the air" would be a fantastic group event!
Who knew such a thing existed? Thanks, Steve!
Lynn
Lynn, I really get how hard working Neil is. I'm sure you appreciate that all the more since spending time with him recently. It's really just an idea, but as you say Steve seems to think it can be done pretty easily and a TG open mic channel would be pretty cool. ... Whether I'd have the courage to play to a TG audience in real time... Well ... That's another thing. :) though I'm sure Ness' herding whip and arm bending works just as well from a distance. :) (Not that I'm suggesting that she should be the ring leader, she is also working her butt off with a full on teaching schedule and churning out TG lessons too.)

The technological solutions that exist to bring us closer together are pretty amazing. Just like the people who imagine them.

michelew

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
Lots of good ideas here - you might want to try both,

I would agree with Lynn - perhaps start it as a member initiated idea as opposed to creating more work for the TG gang.

Michele - you could start a busking thread, like the 3 or 4 chord thread of early last year

Steve - you could have a signup for an initial hangout and pick a time that works for those who express an interest

Great ideas - keep the inspiration flowing!
Jim - if no one has started a open-mic busking thread before I've recorded my Mraz song then I'll start one, assuming people are interested in participating of course. I was just giving others the opportunity to jump in earlier if they liked the idea because I really can't sing now. When I suggested the 3/4 chord busking thread Daryl picked it up and ran with it, I thought I'd try again. Feel free to kick it off yourself if you get the urge.

M

michelew

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:06 pm

kanefsky wrote:
If you're on a Mac or PC you shouldn't need much more than your standard browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari plus a webcam (which is often built in to newer computers). You'll need a Google username and password of course. You should already have one if you post YouTube videos or use Android, Gmail, Google Docs, Calendar, Groups, etc. Otherwise you can create one at https://accounts.google.com/SignUp

On iPhone/iPad/Android (e.g. Samsung Galaxy), you'll need to download the Google Hangouts app. On Android it might be pre-installed if you have a newer phone. It'll probably be tricker to position a tablet or especially a phone to get a good view of you with your guitar and to be able to see everyone else at the same time.

Remember that in either case you'd ideally want an external microphone, but it's not absolutely required.

What I would need to do is setup a Google+ circle (kind of like a Facebook group) with everyone that might want to participate, so I'd need to collect the email addresses y'all are using for your Google accounts. I would then start the hangout and invite the circle and the hangout would show up on my YouTube page and on my Google+ page and you should be able to click and join.

Working out these sorts of details is why I wouldn't expect to get much done the first time. We'll just be working on getting everyone connected at first :). Some of this is new to me as well because they've been changing things, and the way it works inside Google for video conferencing (which is how I'm used to using it) is a bit different.

--
Steve
Steve that sounds like a plan to me. :)

It sounds very doable.

M

michelew

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:11 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Michelle Wrote:
So who's first? Daryl? Chris? Kevin? Dermot? Cori? Lynn? Ness? Step up, this could be a heap of fun.
Not sure I'd be up for that Michelle, well not at the moment.
Open Mic certainly isn't the same as sitting in front of a camera, well the camera doesn't throw tomatoes !!!
Don't say it.... "What Videos" !!! :P
An audience on the other hand might.

The concept of finding somewhere doing a performance be it inside or outside, in front of people and videoing it to upload,
is for sure a challenge and needs a reasonable degree of confidence to pull it off.

Never say never eh?

But never :dry: I meant not at the moment !!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Look what happened to this poor guy, he needs an operation now!!!
It's sure dangerous :ohmy: :woohoo:

Hey Dermot,

One advantage of a TG virtual open mic session is the tomato throwers will just end up with tomato purée on their OWN face. :)

Not at the moment... I can relate t that. Well if you feel inspire to post a video or jump into Steve's hangout session just do it. :)

Who knew such fruits were riding the rails?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic