Busking Neil Young

Craig

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Al,
That was just great! The playing was solid. the harmonies were right on. You channeled your inner Neil Young. The new mini sounded grand! All the way around well done!

Craig

cosmicmechanic

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Al, you mean business ! I think that you always had a knack for learning quickly, but seems something else is starting to give ...
A kind of snowball effect ? The better you get, the more fun it is to play ... the more fun, the better you get.

I went back to the post after you added the old version ... you are hitting strings selectively now, which makes all the difference.
Rhythm also much better.

Oh, did you have any setup work done on the Mini yet ? A very neat little guitar.

And I'm a little worried about Mohawk ... has he got a touch of laryngitis ?

Pierre

rdaltry

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:17 pm

awesome job al!

did you user your micro br for the harmonies & whistling?

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I'll respond soon--
but in the meantime, go back to the video again..

I found my first upload of The Loner from December 24th of 2009!!
Cool comparison.

daryl

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Wow what a difference between takes! Vast improvement in everything. I love your videos.

tovo

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Al,

Awesome playing, brilliant singing (I agree you sound remarkably like the man himself) great hat and terrific ventriloquism, I can't believe you can whistle so well without pursing your lips.

BobR

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Al,

That was really terrific all around. Loved the harmonies. I just recently picked up the Sugar Mountain - Live At Canterbury House 1968 album where Neil's doing this live. You've really got this nailed.

Nice hat by the way.

Bob

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Daryl- I'm often leery about adding harmonies to songs that didn't have them in the original. I think it works in this one.

Dennis- thanks. I think the GS sounds great in this as well. So full- especially when tuned down for double drop d!

Jay- thanks for watching and your comment. It's been a while between you uploads (unless I missed one). Working on something interesting?

Buddy- Glad you liked it.

Matt- I take that as a huge compliment. Relaxed and 'in time'. I found the strumming in 'The Loner' particularly difficult, and still do- especially when singing as well.

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Craig- Thanks a lot. My inner Neil Young thanks you :)

Pierre- I think you're on to something re. the snowball effect. I also kind of let loose and tried to really relax with both the strumming and the singing in this one.
Tried to feel the song for lack of a better description. Seemed to work.
Re. the earlier upload- I agree. My rhythm was off and playing was basically sloppy. I'm glad I have a record of it though.. To see where I've been. Gives me motivation to continue.
No setup on the Mini yet. Want to bash it around some more with some more NY songs before doing it. I have a year to do it for free at the store I bought it at.
Re. Mohawk- he was surprisingly quiet while I recorded this video. But don't worry.. he made up for it tonight TENFOLD!!

Mr. Daltry- yes, I did use the Micro to record this.
Btw- I love that I'm giving Roger Daltry tips on recording music. :laugh:

Tony- I was wondering who would pick up on that.. Funny thing is that I actually made a different video with picture in picture video of me singing the harmonies and whistling. I then edited it in AVS but something weird happened. Every time it came to a picture in picture overlay part-- the audio would get lower. Strange. So I abandoned it and went with my usual treatment.

Mr. Bob- thanks. I need to check that album out as well.

willem

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 am

Man that was just great,,you got Neils vibrations,,

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic