A long distance collaboration

bobk35

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Nice job! Hope to see more of these!

Bobk

tovo

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:18 pm

wandoctor wrote:
I think it was Reiver who suggested we think about how to make things even better for next time. I have a few ideas. If you have any, post them here.

1. Squeezing people in, without looking like you are getting your kicks playing with the fader, is an issue. I think 4 guitars, 2 vocals, 2-3 other instruments e.g harmonica, is the absolute max. Unless you are doing Inna Gadda Da Vida.

2. Next time I think I'll leave the reference track in all the way through and drop the volume to zero. That's just behind the scenes editing. As a matter of fact, I think I'll edit completely differently, putting in whole tracks and cutting out what I don't want, instead of finding and pasting in what I do. That should make syncing easier.

3. Everyone needs to be very aware of the beat.

4. I think we need a basic how to on lighting, framing, how much of you should be in the picture, volume levels. Nothing set in stone, just examples of what is desired.
All good, also agree with Chris on the vocals, they need to come last. It would be easy to make that available to the vocalists once ready.

However this one was always going to have some minor glitches. Nick and I discussed that, of course he had the really hard task and given the anticipation for it all was hoping to live up to the expectation (he sure did) but it can only get slicker from here as well now all understand what is required, and have our lessons learned from this one.

Overall I think it's an amazing effort first up, and it can only improve from here. By the way I'm not defensive about it...not at all. I'm very satisfied with this first effort but of course with the benefit of this experience any future efforts will benefit enormously.

goldleaf

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I think it was an excellent mix for the first time. I'm sure we all learned a lot from this experience. One thing I noticed, Nick in his first 2 tracks had visuals of when "Harmonica" started or "lyrics", but the last one we used didn't have those references & it made it a little difficult for me to know exactly when to start the harmonica. If we could have some references when each part started I think it would help everybody start different parts at the precise time. I hope we were keeping a good tempo since we had Nick's track to listen to as we played. Anyway a visual reference would help those playing the other instruments to know exactly when to come in and stop. Just my one little thing. I know my lighting was terrible and framing wasn't very good, so I think the basics Nick mentioned are all we really need to concentrate on for an even better outcome. Great job all and I really had a blast, especially seeing the actual final product. If we can find a few soprano back up singers we can think about "Harvest Moon" Gary

reiver

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Can I make it clear (just in case it isn't) that I wasn't suggesting we needed improvements because of the quality of what was produced, but purely with an eye on the editing difficulties that Nick was faced with. I'm very proud to have been a part of this project.

r

BobR

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm

I didn't think that for a moment.

wammer

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

:cheer: REMEMBER WHEN

So after watching all the amazing videos that have ALL come out of this one thread I couldnt help but bring this one back to life for those of us who Loved it and those of us that never had a chance to see it

Tony started an absolutely amazing experience that we have all been a part of and I would like to say thank you to him.........

P.S. by the way YOU ALL ROCK :kiss:

Tammy

haoli25

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks for bringing this one back again, Tammy. It is just as wonderful as I remembered it.

Bill

willem

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks Tammy,,,WOW,,4451 views,,are we famous now..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic