A long distance collaboration

d_dog

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Stellar! You guys are AWESOME!!!!! Thanks Tony for creating this movement. Nick fantastic job editing. I can not wait for more of this.

tovo

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Everyone is still stunned! Anyway, thanks Nick. I've posted it as well, so it's up to you guys to determine if the World's (or TG's at least) longest thread keeps going or you post in the other thread. No worries either way.

goldleaf

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey you all, I just got back from running around. Is it ready yet, how much farther to go now. Gary

goldleaf

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Check out Tony's other post for the video...

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Just awesome team.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:20 am

I think it was Reiver who suggested we think about how to make things even better for next time. I have a few ideas. If you have any, post them here.

1. Squeezing people in, without looking like you are getting your kicks playing with the fader, is an issue. I think 4 guitars, 2 vocals, 2-3 other instruments e.g harmonica, is the absolute max. Unless you are doing Inna Gadda Da Vida.

2. Next time I think I'll leave the reference track in all the way through and drop the volume to zero. That's just behind the scenes editing. As a matter of fact, I think I'll edit completely differently, putting in whole tracks and cutting out what I don't want, instead of finding and pasting in what I do. That should make syncing easier.

3. Everyone needs to be very aware of the beat.

4. I think we need a basic how to on lighting, framing, how much of you should be in the picture, volume levels. Nothing set in stone, just examples of what is desired.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 am

Feedback on the production:

I imagined I was going to sing over the finished music track as pretty much the last step in production. It wasn't until late that I realised I'd have to just put the vocal down listening to the reference track and it would all be mixed together same time. I reckon the timing would be easier if the instruments are mixed first and the vocal goes on top. Other embellishments can come after.
If I was mixing something on my own I'd put down the beat, the bass, the strumming mix it then lay down the vocal track and then add embellishments. I have only some experience of years ago doing that with a friend on a fostex 4 track recorder.

I really appreciated Nicks willingness and ability to do the mixing.... I'm sure that is not easy!

dekotaj

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:55 am

I think that is a better approach. One of the limitations I have to work around is my version of Vegas only allows 4 simultaneous video or audio tracks. If I leave in any throughout the mix, that decreases the number I have to work with. With many musicians that is difficult. Perhaps what I'll do next time is work in sections, rhythm first, then mix it down into a single track, then add the next section. This time I mixed it by chronologically as the parts appeared in the song.

wammer

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 am

When this all started I invisioned myself singing back up to chris ie harmony. I just wasnt sure how to go about this soo I backed out. Like chris I just wasnt sure how to go about doing it. Now that Ive seen the finished product which by the way was fantastic it gave me goose bumps to see it all come together. i get it Come on lets do it again LOL

Oh ps I play a mean egg shaker

Tammy

rcsnydley

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:24 pm

WOW, I'm impressed, what an awesome job, both in playing and editing. My congrats to all involved.

Maybe I can get a webcam so I can participate in the next one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic