Virtual Get Togethers or Real-time Collaborations

ffsooo3

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

In addition to Picture-in-Picture Video Collaborations, has anyone tried using something like Skype to get together with someone to jam or learn or teach?

I've only used Skype once to make a phone call from my computer. The person I called had a video camera so I was able to see them as we talked. I don't have a video camera so they were only able to hear me. Anyway, there didn't appear to be any noticable lag between the audio and video. But then, we were't playing guitars, so it was hard to notice any latency.

The best part about Skype is that the video phone calls are FREE to anywhere in the world as long as both ends of the call are using Skype. So, for example, the Netherlands can call New Zealand (or vice-versa) for free. Heck, maybe even Neil can do one-on-one lessons over Skype????

Anyone interested in trying this idea out and reporting back as to its viability?

sws626

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:29 pm

This sounds like a good idea. Skype (and I'm sure other brands of VoIP) are really pretty good now. We use it regularly to let our daughter see her grandparents and its definitely up to the task in terms of latency. It would be refreshing to have an adult conversation with a bit of music thrown in.

hasben

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:43 pm

As fleetwood mac would say "Over My Head"; but I'll watch and to see if you get it worked out.

tovo

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Skype is very stable now and suitable for video conferencing provided all parties have decent bandwidth. If you aren't running ADSL2 (fast internet) it can be problematic. As already mentioned, computer to computer it's free (less the cost of your internet but you are paying for that anyway). I "talk" regularly to a few members here as I'm sure a lot of us do and it would be cool to do that via video conferencing, and some live jamming could happen also.

We can always share Skype details via PM, and perhaps there could be some kind of Skype register for Target Members?

Skype conferencing with the TG community would be an excellent way to ensure that I spend 100% of my time on TG instead of the current 99.5%

AndyT

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm

I've been doing that for some time on Yahoo IM. It has video confrencing built-in. I've had jam sessions with it and shared tips and techniques. Plus, using it for personal face to face communications with family. And its totally free over the net.

tovo

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

AndyT wrote:
I've been doing that for some time on Yahoo IM. It has video confrencing built-in. I've had jam sessions with it and shared tips and techniques. Plus, using it for personal face to face communications with family. And its totally free over the net.
There's myriad tools for it Andy, MSN is another. It's just a matter of picking one if the idea is seen as worthwhile.

AndyT

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Tony, Very true. I really hope if this happens, everyone chooses Yahoo because I'm not really looking to add all sorts of other IMs to my machine. But then I guess that true of others already using Skype, MS, ICQ....

Hydroman52

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm

AndyT wrote:

Have you noticed any latency when jamming with Yahoo via the Internet?

AndyT

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm

No latency on a hard line, but wireless, I get some. It depends on how busy the net is when I'm on.

MarkM

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 pm

outstanding idea. Very easy to set up. I'll never get another thing done though....................

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic