Collaboration on Elton John's Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi All. Wasn't sure where to place this, I guess we need a collaboration section but its about singing so....

Collaboration is the flavour of the day at TG at the moment and rightly so as it can add real value to learning and playing. Getting a project done is motivating and puts you on the line to deliver the goods best you can to a deadline. That definitely sharpens the creative process.

I mentioned on a thread that I’ve found myself hung up on Elton John’s Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me. I never thought I’d be able to sing it so I’ve never tried to play it. It’s a piano song, of course. But after finding the chord sequence and after realising that if I drop the tuning of my guitar down a half step, I can sing it in that key, I decided to take it further.
The original chords are G F C with an Am and D in there too. Tuned down a half step I‘m actually playing F# E B with G#m and C# but still using the easier shapes of G F C etc.

Having got this far, I’d like to make more of the song and wonder if anyone else would like to join me in the fun on making it something much better. It could use a more sophisticated strumming and certainly a few embellishments with acoustic or electric guitar, some fill-ins or runs. It could be done as a duet complete with backing vocals. So what I’m looking for here is any one who would like to contribute:

- the basic guitar track
- fill-ins, riffs, embellishments on acoustic or e-guitar
- a second male voice (the version with George Michael comes to mind - as a reference)
- female background vocals… ideally 2 voices
- a bass line

I have some ideas of where I want to go with this but am also open to all suggestions. The video below shows you where I’m at with this at the moment. I just recorded it quickly after coming home from work to day, as you can see! As you can also see I have not got further than getting the basic shape of the song and the phrasing of the singing partly done. The guitar part is not very sophisticated and may not be quite right in the timing etc. I thought, if I post this as a starting point, it could be interesting to see how it develops. It’s pretty much how I’ve gone about learning all my songs before joining TG.

Please sign up here and leave your feedback, thoughts, suggestions etc. in this thread so other’s can watch how it develops…. We can switch to pms when we are ready to retreat to our rooms to work on it.

It would be really cool if this goes somewhere.
Chris

heatndude

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey Chris this sounds like fun. I would be willing to give it a go on the guitar part either electric or acoustic. Maybe Chas has a tab for this to help out. PM me when you get a chance.

tovo

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Chris I reckon it sounds pretty cool already! Nice vocals.

I am always willing to be involved. I don't think my voice is any match for yours, and I'm not sure they would go well together. But maybe splitting verse and chorus could work? Dunno. If plenty of members are keen I'm more than happy to sit it out and enjoy the result. If not I would happily support your project. Kudos for the initiative.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Good to have you on board heatndude and thanks Tony for your kind comments... as this is the kind of level all my songs are at, I'd love it to become something better guitar and wise and vocally. Like to go to a new level with the help of folks here. Please be involved anyway you'd like.

MarkM

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 am

Chris,

That voice of yours is really good. My throat hurts just thinking about trying to get up there with you. Nicely done. I wish you well on your endevour here. I'm sure the final product is going to sound great!!!

MarkM

AndyT

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 am

Ok, I'm in. I can do some guitar stuff on there but I'm not sure about the singing. I'm a Baritone. :laugh:

I'm playing it standard tuning Capo 1 and its still a bit high for me.

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 am

I have a tab but the tempo is a bit slower and it is for a jazz guitar and an arpeggio guitar in harmony.

AndyT

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:37 am

Chas, That sounds cool. I have a chord sheet for it but no tab. Send it to me please. Is it in GP format?

AndyT

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 am

Chris, After watching you play that again, I think we have the same chord sheet. And I think we can do this with me using a capo yet. I should be able to match your key but an octave lower. I think. I hope. :laugh:
Are you willing to mess around to find the best key for us both?

jayswett

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 am

I couldn't possibly sing this song, but would like to be involved with the guitar playing portion. I'm not sure my playing would be any more sophisticated than what you just did, but I would be certainly willing to give it a try. Sounds like fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic