HERE COMES THE SUN (sing along with Dennis)

dennisg

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:58 pm

It's a rare sunny February day in Seattle, and that inspired me to record one of my favorite all-time Beattles songs, "Here comes the sun."

Why I chose this song: You kidding? Who wouldn't want to learn how to play this wonderful song? I've wanted to play it from the day I heard it in the late '60s, but never really had the means to learn it until I found TG. By the way, this is the original version, not the slack-key version that was recently posted. I capo'd it up to the 6th fret because I think that's about where George played it.

TG's first (and possibly last) sing-along: While I was running through the song this morning, two thoughts occurred to me: 1) After 19 takes on "Angel From Montgomery," I vowed to post my very first take, bad or good, of this song. Mostly it turned out okay, except I totally blew the ending; and 2) I thought it might be fun if you, from the comfort and privacy of your own home, sang along with me. To help you get started, I sang the melody on the opening chorus and first verse, then I switched to a harmony starting with the second verse and maintained it through the remainder of the song, the thought being that with you singing your part and me singing mine, we'd be in harmony for much of the song. That was the idea anyway.

One more thing about the video: because it's such a beautiful day in Seattle, and people just don't believe days like this exist here, I thought I'd show you, at the beginning of the video, that Chris in Switzerland doesn't live in the only beautiful place on earth. Feel free to skip this part. Mostly, I'm just babbling and walking through my house.

The challenge: It was hard enough for me to learn "Here comes the sun." Adding a voice to it compounded the difficulty more than I experience on most songs. Switching to harmony partway through the song added another layer of complexity. But it was a very fun exercise, and I've enjoyed everything about learning this song. I'd never tried to play an arpeggio until this, and now I'm able to apply it to other songs. Thanks, Neil!

Below the video are the lyrics to help you get started.

Here comes the sun, doo-doo-doo-doo,
here comes the sun, it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right
It's all right

dekotaj

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

BRAVO!BRAVO!
Hey Dennis,Im at work.So Ill do a better reply later.BRAVO!!

Kevin

lmc831

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm

That was great to watch. What a beautiful view u have of the mountains and water! YOur dog is adorable and your home is lovely. You did a great job in singing and playing your guitar. Enjoyed it.

Lisa

MarkM

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:40 pm

Dennis,

Well thank you. That was a treat. Man what a nice day out there today. Better than the 10" of white stuff I woke up to before heading out the door. Beautiful view and beautiful house. Thanks for the tour. As for the song, another great job. I've never tried to pick the song but rather flat pick it and strum. I totally enjoyed both the playing and singing. That song is harder than it looks and I was very impressed. I like the little effect you put on (delay?). It sounded like what they used on Abbey Road. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing!!!!

MarkM

tovo

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:40 pm

dekotaj wrote:
BRAVO!BRAVO!
Hey Dennis,Im at work.So Ill do a better reply later.BRAVO!!

Kevin
I'm at work as well Dennis, and I spat tea all over my keyboard when you said "Sound like fun?...I didn't think so either". Forgive me I didn't sing along.

Loved your concept for the video, the creative bar keeps getting higher. Great place you have there and the view is to die for. Very tastefully furnished as well. I know I sound like I am writing a review for "Home Beautiful" or something like that but hey...you started it! Love the hat as well, I'll be sure to bring mine to our live collaboration.

OK finally to the tune. Thought the playing was great with only the minor flub toward the end, no big deal. I really like your singing voice as I have told you. I thought the first verse was spot on and then the key/pitch changed (I have nowhere near the technical ability required to offer precise tech advice but I know what I hear). It was still fine after the first verse, but I did note that. You got up so high for "Sun sun sun here it comes" I was scared for you! But you did it nicely. I understand that you have had throat surgery so you are doing great to sing so well, I'm just trying to be constructive rather than gushing. I certainly do feel more gushing than let down.

Keep them coming mate, I enjoyed that tremendously. You're such an interesting guy and always coming up with innovation. Bravo.

TGMatt

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 pm

bravo dennis

BobR

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Dennis,

Great job and quite a unique idea. Thanks for the tour and the spectacular views, I guess the sun does shine sometimes in Seattle. I tried singing along not sure how well I did though. :laugh:

cosmicmechanic

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey Dennis

Well, I'm not at work and security there won't let me access TG.

Guess that's just as well, cause then I'd be visiting your house and spraying coffee over My keyboard (wink to Tovo), instead of working!
And I wouldn't have sung along at work either.

Thanks for such a generous show, I've been planning to get into that tune for a while now, I see instant gratification from starting it soon as possible. Loved your high notes: "Suun Suun Suun here it coomes"!

These remarks don't do your video justice, just to let you know I enjoyed.

Pierre

suziko

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Dennis- you never fail to make me smile with your videos. Once again, I think I was grinning the entire time. And, yes, I DID sing along!

You not only put on one hell of a performance, you also played the song really nicely.

And Wally is really, really cute. Awwwww....*snuggle snuggle*!

Suzi

michelew

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm

What a showman!!! I'll let you into a little secret...this is my long-term project. I looked at it last year, felt swamped, put it away and then looked at it again for the first time last night. It's going to take me a long time to get it under my belt and even longer to make it exciting like you just did.

I can't critique it - but, I will gush - that was fantastic and a lot of fun.

I popped home quickly on my lunch break - so I've shortened my response - but just read it as another WOW!

You've got a beautiful home too - what a view!

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic