Quick collaboration from D_Dog and MarkM - Rocky Raccoon

MarkM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi all. I think I have now flushed all my recent work (well just about) and will get back to learning some new material. This here is the story we all know well of Rocky Raccoon. This was another great song on the Beatles White Album. I had tried to play this on and off over the years without giving it much thought until recenlty when I wanted to get it right (or in this case close enough to recognize I hope). I wanted to give singing a go on this one but the takes hurt both my and my dogs ears to the point where we said No Mas..... I reached out to D_Dog/Damian thinking that he could get close to Pauls register without hurting himself. I am pleased that he accepted the offer and this is what we came up with. Nothing fancy as this was really quick and off the cuff on my part. I just sent him the audio file and he attached his singing and sent it back last night. A little Adobe pixie dust and here you go. There had been a few threads about flatpicking the bass note and then strumming. This is hardly the textbook application of that but it is in this song on every 4th beat. Hopefully this will show the technique, albeit in a less than perfect manner. Well that's it for my posting video's for a while as I have to work on some of the other stuff.

Thanks for the help Damian.

As always I would like to hear your comments and suggestions on how to improve on this.

MarkM

tovo

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Well guys good stuff. Not a favourite of mine, in my very humble opinion there were some serious hallucinogens floating around when they decided to put that tune on an otherwise great album BUT...big but...enjoyed your take much more, and I like that you threw it together so quick and easy. Mark your strumming is silky and Damian you have serious potential to be a better than good singer is what my ears tell me. Well done both.

RicksPick

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Nice collaboration guys

I did like the fact that neither part was over done
relaxed and subtle sounded good
New song to me
As for the technical part will leave to others

RicksPick

coomba

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 pm

G'day Guy's
That was great your both very talented.This site never ceases to amaze me.
Mark I know what you mean about getting back to work,I know I have neglected my work since joining TG.
Nice singing,nice playing a good way to start the day, thanks
Cheers
Scott

haoli25

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Outstanding guys. That was just pure TG fun! I hope this is the first of many projects for you two. Thanks for the video Mark and Damian, you made my day!

Bill Image

wammer

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:24 pm

This is just way to much fun.....dont ya think.

Good job guys.

Tammy

pbraun

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Oh yeah!!! Mark the playing was great, and D the voice fit perfectly.
What ever the 4 from Liverpool were doing on that album didn't really matter because it turned out some of the best they ever made. Good job guys you did the song proud
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Now just to be clear here, I really don't like that sort of Paul McCartney song (along with Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Maxwell's Silver Hammer). He must have slipped them on to the albums when John was out to lunch or drugged out of his brains... no way he liked them! Having said that, I really enjoyed two TG friends playing and having fun together... and you did a really good job of it. So, well done! And Damian, that was really good singing man!

MarkM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks All.

Tony - Thanks. That sond was actually a pretty innocent song probably written about the "Old West" in the US in the mid to late 1800's. At least that ist he visual I get.

Rick - thanks. The looser I got with this song the better.

Scott - thanks. I looked at your video with my coffee this morning.

Bill - Thanks. You never know.........

Tammy - It is fun!!!

Pete - I love that album. Lots of memories with my folks playing it on the 8 track. Actually most of the album was written with they were in India and it was really for solo albums rolled into a double album. Not a ton of collaboration from them on this album.

Chris - Thanks!!!

MarkM

d_dog

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks guys, I was very happy to be invited. I'm realizing now in a few spots how out of sync I was with the music, not sure if that was me or my computer (sure blame the computer) I'll blame it on the technical phenomenon known as latency :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Mark, really great job on this man, those bass notes were really well played and really great sound. Really clean playing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic