Quick collaboration from D_Dog and MarkM - Rocky Raccoon

Craig

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Hey guys, that was a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing. I am familiar with the song, although I can't offer any technical suggestions, it was very recognizable and sounded good to me!
Craig

BobR

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Mark / Damian

Great collaboration guys. Thanks for posting I really enjoyed it.

Bob

cosmicmechanic

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Really enjoyed this guys, for reasons already mentioned by others,
but I'm happy to argue FOR this song, in contrast with some of those previous comments.

I've always found "Rocky Raccoon" to be full of kinda clever wordings and I like to play it myself.

The Beatles' White Album goes off so wildly in all directions that it seems to me to be a series of parodies of a wide range of musical styles: "Back in the USSR" for Surfer Rock, "Birthday" and some others for Metal Rock, "Honey Pie" for old Hollywood Swing, "Revolution 9" for experimental highbrow meandering, and on and on ...

So, "Rocky Raccoon" parodies Country Music by reusing Wild West clichés and finding a way to send the main character of the story back to the "Good Book".

So Mark and d_dog, you also did great by choosing great material !

Pierre

AcousticAl

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Hey guys,

A great collaboration here! Guitar and vocals were well balanced (and great quality). Would've liked to have seen Damian belt it out, but I know this was a quick one.

Well done.

Lavallee

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Mark and Damian, good collaboration good playing and singing. It is not the first I would have tought for doing such a thing, but it is coming out very well.

Marc

MarkM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Damian - I didn't really notice any issues with the vocals. It fit really well. Certainly just fine for a quick turn around.

Craig/Bob - Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pierre - Thanks. I agree. I think this album is fantastic. I've been on this Beatles kick lately and forgot how much I like this one.

Al - Thanks!! Yeah it would have been great to see Damian sing this. We just didn't have the time. Maybe some day.

MarkM

MarkM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks Marc. I've always liked the song but couldn't sing it. I was happy to have Damian do it.

AndyT

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Guys,
A great effort. Loved it.

Mark,
I see what you mean about the strumming. I think if you lighten up on all the other strums then that bass note will really come out and thats key in this song. I could hear you play them, but all your strums were more or less even and for this kind of song thats not really what you're looking for.

Try this:
Practice the strum but loosen up your grip on the pick for everything except the Bass notes, and when you hit them, don't complete the strum. Just play the bass notes on that beat. Do that for about 10 mins and then see how it sounds to you.

Dog,
Good singing as always. Breathe man breathe! LOL

suziko

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am

That was really fun, guys! Nice job playing and singing. I'd love to comment more, but I got me a sick daughter at home today and I'm just sneaking on here really fast. But congratulations on a fun collaboration!

Suzi

michelew

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

I missed this yesterday.

That was really great. Mark the playing was really good and steady - I'm not sure how it is 'suppose' to sound, but I thought you did a wonderful job. Damian - your singing is such a pleasure to listen to - I LOVE it.

The whole think sounded professional. Great collaboration.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic