Collaborations - Just keep getting better

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Izzy, you know you'll carry on posting because you'd miss us all too much otherwise!!

MarkM

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Izzy,

Don't you dare not post any longer!! I would be so )*%)#$ upset. Your videos are such a joy to watch. You have a beautiful voice that is down right soothing. If you don't post any more I won't either. Hows that for ya???

You know what they say about people that have to post these fancy dancy collaborations right? They are hiding their... ahhh.... inadeuacies in other areas.... :blush: :blush: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

ffsooo3

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Bottom line is everyone should keep posting videos - it's a great way for EVERYONE to learn!

tovo

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm

izzyhara wrote:
But I did have a moment (or two) where I thought that I would probably not post anything again. I don't have all the tech capabilities, nor the equipment (I do have the desire and the aptitude). It's pretty much just me and my guitar and my silly little video camera. So thanks for the discussion, not just for me, but for anyone else who might have had a "moment".
Izzy thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. The fact that a solid player like you felt this way, if only for a short period, leads me to think that some less experienced players probably feel the same. In light of that, I'm more comfortable to have raised the issue. Thanks Izzy and all other contributors.

TGMatt

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:59 pm

I have already said my bit here..agreed with you all..

We want to see all of your efforts..at whatever level they are..from webacam up...

Now I am going to propose an alternative swim upstream view..

This in no way contradicts my earlier points..

In no way do I want to discourage really really talented people who have time and inclination to post their works of art...

If Scorsese, Tarantino or Cameron, decides to take up the guitar and joins us..then by all means don't feel constrained by this thread either...I cannot wait to see Tom Petty in 3d .. :silly:

Seriously ..sometimes having extrodinary effort presented to us, lifts all boats...if it wasn't for the first effort we wouldn't have even had this conversation...never lose site of the fact that talent and skill is something to rejoice..and if inclined to aspire to..

You don't have to be Picasso to enjoy painting..nor visit the Louvre...

Anyways ...moving right along

Chasplaya

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Like Izzy I don't have the tech knowledge or the gear to produce videos at the same level as has been seen here. Therefore, my future ones will be done with my little Samsung camera with its built in mic. I was going to get involved with the Elton collaboration unfortunately major work issues have of late reduced my time spent at home on the PC and with guitar in hand, so that will likely have to be put off. Also for this it was recommended that we upload audio and video tracks separately, at present I don't have that capability, but working on it. Hey it looks like fun!

Yes technology has its place if you are aiming to record a DVD or CD but if its open mic night then basically its you and your guitar, down to basics.

If you have the gear and the inclination by all means go for it, if not.. So what?

I mentioned before it is interesting to see what can be achieved and encourages us to maybe try if thats our desire. There would be a few amongst us that could possibly get to be recording artists, quite a few more that will be capable of open mic nights and joining a local band and be perfectly happy at that achievement. Then the guys who just want to play at home maybe for family or even just for their own peace of mind.

I would imagine the majority of members can meet the basics required to upload audio and video, beyond that for major productions the numbers would diminish.

At the end of the day its all about learning the guitar using the programme here and seeing each other improve our skills on the guitar, to that end a half decent vid with half decent audio will suffice. Then the encouragement , which is astounding on this site can be directed primarily at the skills of guitar playing and developing musicianship.

Their is room for both, the basic player and the elaborate collaboration as long as we don't lose sight of what TG is all about, I don't think that has occurred, and I don't believe it will.

My goal is to improve my skills on guitar, if I pick up extra skills thats a bonus.

mcfingers

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 pm

After reading all the posts I would like to summarize what I think is being said.

1. We all want to improve our playing, whatever the level. Videoing our playing helps us do that.

2. We all realize that by posting our video it is up for positive peer review.

3. We all feel pretty safe that our efforts will be met with constructive comments.

4. We feel that their is real value in the comments that it helps us all improve.

5. This is not viewed as a competition but as a way to share what we have learn.

and

6. Chris will not expose himself on the forum.

If I have anything wrong please feel free to correct me. Except for number 6

Best wishes and go tune you guitars and start strumming.

Steve

sws626

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:32 am

I've often felt as Izzy and definitely appreciate that Tony raised this issue. The collaborative posts are great and the praise they've received seems to me well justified. Given the effort involved in organizing them, it seems inevitable that they will be more polished than a spontaneous individual upload. But, as much as I've enjoyed some of the collaborations, it's the unfinished works in progress -- and our willingness to post and learn from our flaws -- that keeps me coming back to the forum. I'm sure there's plenty of room for both types of posts, but I'd really like to see more of the songs we're struggling with.

-Stuart

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:41 am

I've mentioned this a few times elsewhere-- this ain't hollyweird. (think I said hollywood at the time) B) It's one of the reasons I don't go all out with production/lights etc. when I'm making vids.

I need to re-read this thread.. but I hope it's not discouraging people from recording the best audio/video possible if that floats their boat.

Also, keep in mind that collaboration videos are a bit of a different entity. You do need a bit of tech knowledge to pull it off.. and by their nature, the finished product will be more polished than a student review/work in progress video.

Pushing boundaries is a good thing. Just realize that all uploads are equal, and yours won't be looked at any differently if it doesn't have extra bells and whistles. We all enjoy watching them for mostly the same reasons.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:28 am

AcousticAl wrote:
I've mentioned this a few times elsewhere-- this ain't hollyweird. (think I said hollywood at the time) B) It's one of the reasons I don't go all out with production/lights etc. when I'm making vids.

I need to re-read this thread.. but I hope it's not discouraging people from recording the best audio/video possible if that floats their boat.

Also, keep in mind that collaboration videos are a bit of a different entity. You do need a bit of tech knowledge to pull it off.. and by their nature, the finished product will be more polished than a student review/work in progress video.

Pushing boundaries is a good thing. Just realize that all uploads are equal, and yours won't be looked at any differently if it doesn't have extra bells and whistles. We all enjoy watching them for mostly the same reasons.
What the man said!

Just for the hell of it Al can you or anyone out of the Canadian community just once post something NOT totally sane, smart, socially and politically correct? We could frame it an hang it on some wall as a one-of-a-kind and a reminder that you are as flawed as the rest of us! ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic