Collaborations - Just keep getting better

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:40 pm

I’m a bit late to see this thread. I think Tony can rest easy, I can find no evidence of anyone treating video postings or collaborations as a competition and given the unique community spirit here, I can’t see it happening.

I respectfully disagree with Dennis:
I'm glad you started this thread because I'm very much opposed to comparing anyone's effort to anyone else's. To be honest, I'm not particularly interested that someone is of the opinion that Mark's and Damian's collaboration is the best one ever ... or the worst one. That kind of comparison is of zero value and only serves to diminish the wonderful efforts other people put into their work. We should be encouraging people to post videos by offering support and suggestions, not comparisons to other people. Dennisg
My comment that Mark & Damian’s video was the best yet on TG was an expression of admiration of a job really well done. I don't agree that that comment is of zero value and feel that in no way is anyone else’s video diminished thereby. As I have posted very positive comments on every video ever posted, I’m even more certain no one has been negatively affected by me posting an even more positive comment on another video. Buddy, Steve and Chas echoed the comment but I see no harm there. We are all already encouraging everybody enormously on their postings and this has been acknowledged in countless video postings. We all are commenting on individual improvements with each further video posted by a member. We are all giving excellent encouragement. So, for me it’s a non issue and every thing is fine, unless someone can show some evidence to the contrary.

The Elton John Collaboration has also shown no feeling of competition either, just folks happy to work together towards a goal.

Just for the record, this is my post and I was commenting on the video itself not the fact it was a collaboration:
Well that gets my vote as the best video I've seen on TG yet. You guys have set a new standard for us all. The left/right panning synchronised with the visuals left/right is really good and the stereo sound with head phones on is great. Damian is very close to Lennon's sound with his vocals and it blended well with Mark's. Really enjoyed it. You guys get pizza for a week! Well done! Chris

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Chris, thank you for all your past encouragement for myself and for all the time you take to provide it to others, and the same for many other TG members who do the same. This is an interesting issue in that we post our videos and ask for responses, we redo a video in an attempt to make it better than the last one. Our contest will be based on which video's are the best. But our main goal at TG is to teach and learn, from Neil and each other. It's hard to compare without judging something better than another although I think we do a pretty good job of keeping that aspect out of our comments and mostly try to encourage each other. I guess TG is a very unusual group of people who honestly mean and wish the best for others. I think that is what makes it so special and why we are so concerned about making sure nobody is discouraged from trying something new or different. Gary

jayswett

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Chris,
For the record, I read your original post and at that time did not detect any sense of competition within it. Having re-read it, I still don't. I suspect that we can all agree that it would be against your nature, and the nature of this website and its other members to encourage anything other than more participation by all TG students. The concern that some who may have been considering posting a solo video or collaboration might be intimidated by such a technically advanced collaboration as The Two of Us is legitimate, however, and my sense is that the intent of this thread was merely to encourage more postings. I, too, have commmented once or twice that so-and-so's video was a favorite of mine, and comments such as these, I'm sure, have been taken as they are intended, which is to say, congratulations for putting forth such a solid effort. The underlying message, which perhaps is getting a bit muddled in all of this, is this: Please post your videos. It's helpful and educational for all.

ffsooo3

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

I have to agree with Chris. I think everyone's efforts have always been greatly encouraged. What a great community here!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Gary, you are most welcome! And you have been most deserving of praise on your singing on HOG and especially for Founder by Chance. I find the culture of encouragement on this site one the most important factors in my own opening up and development. Like everyone else, I need a safe environment to be able to expose myself to comment on performance. I have found it here at TG!

You guys are so right FF and Jay. Yes Jay, the message is: Go post everybody... it's safe!

izzyhara

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Well, we are being honest here, right? You know I love all you guys, and I jumped into the video posting like 10 days into my membership. And I loved this collaboration to death !! It is just the coolest thing. But I did have a moment (or two) where I thought that I would probably not post anything again. I don't have all the tech capabilities, nor the equipment (I do have the desire and the aptitude). It's pretty much just me and my guitar and my silly little video camera. And even though it is stupid, considering how supportive everyone is, I figured if I posted anything else, it would look really boring. I have been thinking about asking Matt and Neil for a place to post my videos so that I could still get the teaching, and the response, but not bore you guys with it. I know - I know - that is SO not what this site is about. And I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from their talents, whatever they might be. If I am all of a sudden feeling self conscious, or "not good enough", I would be the one to suffer from that attitude, as I wouldn't get all the love and support from all my friends. So no worries - I am smart enough to get over this. But I did "have a moment" so I am really glad that this topic got flushed out the way it did. I might not be the only one. I'm over it and working on my next song to post for you all. And I feel like I am taking a big risk sharing this... You all can't quit sharing everything you are doing just because you might hurt someone's feelings, right? Or make them shy? The whole idea here is to help each other. So thanks for the discussion, not just for me, but for anyone else who might have had a "moment".

d_dog

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:03 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I need a safe environment to be able to expose myself to comment on performance. I have found it here at TG!
May I go on record to vote that Chris does not expose himself here on TG. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Izzy, thanks for sharing. If you read my first post re this issue I too admit I had that feeling of (how could I ever compete with that) although it's not like they are using a studio or equipment that isn't available to most all of us. Looking back, it took Mark and DDog 3 or 4 weeks to put that collaboration together. I don't have the time or that much desire to do so. But I know if I did there would be more than enough help to see me through doing it. So like you. I got over it and got back to doing what I have the time to do. I'm glad you decided to continue to post, after all it's not like everyone would have to listen if they didn't want to, which I'm sure they do. Gary

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:11 pm

D-dog, I was going to let that one go but since you brought it up, I agree. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I need a safe environment to be able to expose myself to comment on performance. I have found it here at TG!
May I go on record to vote that Chris does not expose himself here on TG.
D-Dog
I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and Damian... you are firmly on the radar now! :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic