Collaboration of Sounds of Silence

tombo1230

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Guys that was just brilliant!

Tom N.

BobR

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Rick and Jerry,

That was fantastic. I thought it was great and very well done. I agree this is what TG is all about.

Thanks for posting a wonderful arrangement.

Bob

haoli25

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Guys, I'm thinking if you put together another couple of songs, on Jerry's next trip to Portland, you guys will be ready to take "Song-Bear" for a tour around some Open Mic Nights in the area.

Bill Image

BigBear

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement! To say it was fun to get together with another TG member is a huge understatement. I highly recommend trying to find a way to hook up with other members.

First, it helps because there are always at least a few songs in the TARGET program that you know. We played (and recorded) Hotel California, Horse With No Name and played many others like Nights in White Satin, Margaritaville, Brown Eyed Girl, etc. It's great to have at least a starting point.

Second, as anyone who has spent any time time at all on this site knows, there are an amazing number of really cool, friendly, supportive people who belong to TG. I could gush on about Jerry and what a wonderful guy he is, but he brings a little different skill set with him. He plays in a band with a drummer, bass player and keyboardist. Jerry's timing is really good and he has no fear of performing. I learned a lot from him and he calmed me down by his steady playing.

Someone asked how many "takes" we did. Sounds of Silence and Kansas City were each two takes because one or both of us scerwed up. Actually, my wife called me mid-way thru Kansas City and wiped out that take. Basically, we played thru Jerry's song book on Tuesday, then my songbook on Friday and then went back to Jerry's. We just picked a couple of songs that we knew (except Kansas City) and recorded them.

So, if you get the chance, make a get-together happen! It was absolutely the most fun 10 hours I've had in years! I am now much more eager for TARGET get-togethers whenever they might occur. :cheer:

tom18

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi Rick and Jerry,
WOW, I expected to see Catherine Ross and Dustin Hoffman walk out into the scene any second. You really knocked that out of the park! Congratulations.
Tom

songman52

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and support!
I, too, can't tell you how much fun that was. I had never met Rick (Bear) but when I told him I would be in his "neck of the woods" for a week, we both wanted to get together. We met at a park not far from my daughter's apartment on a chilly and wet day (Tuesday). Thankfully there was some cover from the rain. We played about four hours, just going through various songs and talking about guitars. We got together again a few days later on a beautiful day and played about six hours, and recorded a little bit of the jamming.

Whatever your impressions of Bear are, he truly is a really nice guy. We hit it off immediately and got along great. It feels like I've known him for years. It's always fun to play along with other people, and we had a great time. It passed so fast!! Before we knew it our fingers were frozen (well, cold maybe) and we had gone through dozens of songs like "Hey, remember this one?" and "Yeah, here's a good one!" Since Rick and I are close in age (okay, okay, I'm a little older) we have much of the same "catalog" of songs in our memories. Wow, so many songs and so little time!

I got to play around some with his Taylors, and they are really nice! The neck on his 314 feels so close to my '81 Ovation that I felt like I was back home. I don't know if he recorded any songs while I was playing the Taylor, but it has a great sound (you already knew that, though, right?) It IS a Taylor!!

If any of you get a chance to get together with other TG'ers then DO IT!! We had a great time and will definitely get together again when I return to Oregon. Oh, if you've never been to the Portland area, Mt. Hood, etc. or other areas of Oregon or Washington then I recommend you visit. That was my sixth trip to Portland (each summer) and it's just great. While it was 97 here at home it was 67 up there. Hey, if any of you make it to Texas (my part, anyway) let me know and we can jam. I'd love to meet some more members. (Neil, you gonna be in my neighborhood? I'd LOVE to meet you!)

Again, thanks again for TG and all you nice people/friends.
"Paul Simon" - hey! Is that a short joke? I'm at least 5'6"!! Seriously, I wish I could compare somewhat to Paul Simon. He's always been one of my favorites.
Thanks again to Rick. Glad you have some techno savvy or no one would EVER see a video if they relied on me (maybe a good thing?) Someday I'll get a webcam and maybe learn to post something. Meanwhile I'll enjoy those that all you other guys/gals post. Sorry, I meant that ya'll post.

Now, how do I change my avatar...

Jerry

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:07 am

Well worth the wait Bear and what a bonus Jerry as well. Well done to you both, bet you had a ball.

Encore encore!!

Craig

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

Wow! The playing and singing were simply outstanding. Equally important is the meeting and new friendships formed through this incredible site that we all love. Congratulations to all.
Craig

willem

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 am

WOW,,there is song (on the horizon)that tears me up all the time wnhen i hear it(can help it),but now there are two,,man,man,that was so beautiful,,great playing,great singin,,i would'nt mis this for a million bucks,,i know how nice it is to met people and play together,,Rick,Jerry thanks,,and i make a very big bow,, i reach my toes...

AndyT

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:10 am

Ok, That was flat out great. I'd love to just go on and on about it but most of it has been said.

Now, Who's coming to Hawaii soon? Lets jam!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic