Collaboration of Don't Let the Sun Go Down

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Andy certainly deserves all our thanks. As the original thread documents, Andy put in a lot of time, thought and effort when we arrived at the mixing stage in April and was a big supporter of this collaboration from the beginning. Andy worked on the basis of a midi file which we didn't include in the final mixing as I felt that synthetic sound added nothing and the acoustic guitar sound should be the signature sound. So we seemed to be thinking alone divergent lines and Andy was leaning towards having everyone re-do their parts. I felt the tracks we had were more than good enough and well syncable. Anyway, life kicked in and there wasn’t much progress during the next 8 weeks. I agreed with Andy in June that I’d take on the mixing. I thought I could handle the soundtrack but asked Jay if he could take on the video mixing, which he did an excellent job on. In the end, the audio track took me about 3 days of tinkering to get to a point where it sounded ok and all the tracks (about a dozen!) were synced. The reason David's bass track was not included was due to the fact that it was linked to the midi and in the final mix, I wasn’t using the midi and couldn’t orientate myself to be able to add the bass track in the mix. I learned a lot but not quite enough.

So everyone involved went through a steep learning curve which lead to the final video. I’ll admit it was a bit of a roller coaster ride for me as I had envisioned a delivery date of mid April. But, in the end, I’m very grateful for the whole process and the valuable interactions with everyone involved as well as being very pleased with the outcome. I now have to resist the urge to go back and improve my vocals as repeated listening reveals so much sloppiness which I overlooked in my initial enthusiasm. I can see why studio work takes months and is constantly refined and redone… any thing less than perfect jumps out at you on repeated listening.

Many thanks for everyone’s comments and for listening in. The project is now spread over 3 threads… I’m wondering if the back room boys should meld it all into one, if that would help anything?

dennisg

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

It was worth the wait. I really enjoyed this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic