Busking Kelly Joe Phelps

beaker

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:33 am

Kelly Joe is one of my favourite artists. He is a true inspiration. His guitar playing is totally out of this world and is a mix of blues, folk and jazz. This song called Tommy is the first one of his that I have learned. As far as his songs go, this one if about as basic as it gets..... beyond this most of his songs are filled with fantastic improvisations. I have been pretty quiet on the site lately, but I hope everyone is doing well, and I wanted to show everyone what I have been up to. I still have my nose to the grindstone practicing a lost and loving guitar!!! I hope you are too. I hope you like this song. Beaker.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

ffsooo3

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Nice finger-picking. I don't know Kelly Joe but I'm going to look into him. Thanks. BTW the video seems to have gotten cut-off. Was that one purpose? I would have liked to have heard more!

beaker

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks ffsooo3, I am glad that you liked it. Yeah, the video cut off was intentional, I played a verse followed by the bridge, then another verse, then I ended it. I did not want to just keep repeating verses. If you want to check out Kelly Joe Phelps, he is on You tube. Some of my favourite songs are Beggars Oil, Window Grin, Country Blues (a cover version of Doc Boggs), and Sally Ruby. Thanks again, Beaker.

Jimmer

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Well very nice Beaker, like Daryl said, nice fingerpicking and I guess a fun song to play!

Have to admit that I've never heard of the guy, will you post some more of him?

Thanks for sharing,

Greetz'

Vanessa

beaker

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Vanessa,
thanks for your comments. I will post some more of him eventually, but his songs and style are quite difficult for me, so it may be a while. I am working on a 2nd song now, but a lot of his others are outside of my ability level at this point. but....... I will get there.

Once again... If you liked what I did, check out Kelly Joe on you tube, he has some amazing vids.

You have posted some very good vids by the way, your singing is excellent. A standout on this site. Beaker.

Craig

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:03 am

Beaker,
I'm not familiar with the artist but will definately check it out. Your finger picking sounds really good. Between this and your "Oh Well" post, I would say that your hard work and practice has really paid off. Well done.
Craig

Lavallee

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Beaker, I did not about Phelps either but I will look at his songs that you suggested. Very nice finger picking.Does he always have the capo this high or only for this song?

Marc

dekotaj

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:19 am

Bravo!!Sir,

I also will check this guy out.

Thanks
Kevin

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 am

Hi Beaker, no idea who Kelly is but I liked what you were playing. How about posting some more....

beaker

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, I am glad that you liked this song. It seems that nobody knows Kelly Joe Phelps, and that is a real shame because the guy is an amazing musician! HIghly regarded but in the big picture relatively unknown. I think when you see HIM play on You Tube you will be impressed. Marc, No he does not always play with the capo that high but he does use one pretty regularly, and he also uses a lot of alternate tunings. I wish I had more if his songs to play and post, ...... trust me I am working on it but I need more TIME!!!! It will happen though.... eventually. Have a great day (or night) everyone, Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic