Busking Kelly Joe Phelps

tovo

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:07 am

Sorry Beaker I have to add to the list of people who don't know Kelly Joe but I know I liked what you did there. Very nice. Thanks a lot for the look and glad to hear you are playing heaps and enjoying it.

mothercareys

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 am

Hello, just joined this site. Had video problems with a lesson so was looking around and saw Kelly Joe Phelps name. Nice work on "Tommy" Beaker. I love that song. People who haven't heard the lyrics be sure to take a listen. It is a heartbreakingly sad song, yet beautiful too. I can fill in a little about Kelly Joe for those who haven't heard of him. When I moved to Portland in 1993 I would see his name in the music pages of the free weekly here and he was playing every single day of the week, sometimes twice a day, playing for tips, no cover charge, at coffee shops on Sunday mornings, at pubs during the dinner hour, etc. After a while I had to go see who this guy with his name all over the place was and when I did I was blown away. Unassuming, totally into his playing, foot up on the stomp box and guitar across his lap and such beautiful music and voice coming out of him - he has distinctive deep, raspy and rich voice. I tuned into him for years and there grew to be a knowing group of fans that consistently showed up at his free gigs and kept him going with tips. He was kind and easy to talk to between sets. He said he'd moved on from giving lessons but encouraged me to set up a guitar like his arrangement then - high nut and bridge and played like a dobro and just go for it. That's what he did he said. Then he started getting paying gigs and very well deserved. It was after that that I first saw him play guitar other than on his lap. He's is great either way. He toured the world with BB King sometime ago. Not sure if Vancouver/Portland area is still his home base, I don't see his name in the music pages like in the old days. I hope he is doing well and making beautiful music. Beggar's Oil was the last thing I've heard from him. Lead Me On is my favorite song of his and the name of one of his cd's. Check him out!

daryl

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 am

Well thanks for all the background-info, great story!

And btw, welcome to TG and the forum, hope you'll have lots of fun over here!

Feel free to anticipate or ask questions, lots of willing folks around here to help out!

Greetz'

Vanessa

mothercareys wrote:
Hello, just joined this site. Had video problems with a lesson so was looking around and saw Kelly Joe Phelps name. Nice work on "Tommy" Beaker. I love that song. People who haven't heard the lyrics be sure to take a listen. It is a heartbreakingly sad song, yet beautiful too. I can fill in a little about Kelly Joe for those who haven't heard of him. When I moved to Portland in 1993 I would see his name in the music pages of the free weekly here and he was playing every single day of the week, sometimes twice a day, playing for tips, no cover charge, at coffee shops on Sunday mornings, at pubs during the dinner hour, etc. After a while I had to go see who this guy with his name all over the place was and when I did I was blown away. Unassuming, totally into his playing, foot up on the stomp box and guitar across his lap and such beautiful music and voice coming out of him - he has distinctive deep, raspy and rich voice. I tuned into him for years and there grew to be a knowing group of fans that consistently showed up at his free gigs and kept him going with tips. He was kind and easy to talk to between sets. He said he'd moved on from giving lessons but encouraged me to set up a guitar like his arrangement then - high nut and bridge and played like a dobro and just go for it. That's what he did he said. Then he started getting paying gigs and very well deserved. It was after that that I first saw him play guitar other than on his lap. He's is great either way. He toured the world with BB King sometime ago. Not sure if Vancouver/Portland area is still his home base, I don't see his name in the music pages like in the old days. I hope he is doing well and making beautiful music. Beggar's Oil was the last thing I've heard from him. Lead Me On is my favorite song of his and the name of one of his cd's. Check him out!

beaker

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Tony, thanks man. keeping my fingers closer is something I can work on, but the thing is when I am doing those pull offs, It will be hard to keep my fingers closer, but I will try and experiment with that. Mothercarey's, thanks for your insight. I really enjoyed reading your comments. I am pretty sure Kelly Joe is still based outta Portland. Thanks again, glad that you liked it! Beaker.

tovo

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I get that Beaker. Please let me reinforce that I'm just looking for something that MIGHT be of value. Your playing of that was great and I know you took the suggestion in the manner it was intended.

beaker

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Tony, yeah man! I took your comment exactly as intended. It is great that you have a tip. I alway's want to improve! Thanks man! I appreciate it.Beaker.

beaker

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Well, it looks like I am the lone poster of Kelly Joe Phelps songs, but hey that's alright. This one is called Sally Ruby. It is based on a 12 bar blues in E but there is much latitude with it and it goes off outside of the straight 12 bar format to fit in these riffs that would normally punctuate the vocal lines, but I am doing an instrumental version. I hope you like it, please feel free to comment. Thanks for watching! Beaker.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

beaker

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Folks, ..... here is a 1 minute video of Kelly Joe Phelps playing Sally Ruby (also an instrumental version). This version is heavily laden with improvisations, but it may give you an idea of what I am trying to play, because I know most people will be unfamiliar with the song. Beaker.

Lavallee

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Wow Beaker , this song looks quite difficult to play but you seem to be quite fluent with it. This is almost only hammer-ons and pull off all the time. You did very well with Oh well as well (sorry I had to say that ;) ) You seem to put your attention on the fast pace songs and you are doing a heck of a job.

Great work

Marc

MarkM

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Beaker,

Oh Great!! Another artist I have to check out now..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yup I haven't heard of him either but boy will I now. I love this style of playing. Just wish I had an ounce of talent to play like this. Looks like a ton of fun when you get get there though. I thought your playing was very good. Such a technical song to learn. Man your fingers on both hands were flying. Thanks for sharing and introducing me to someone new.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic