Busking Love Songs

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 am

Best compliment I can give you Cori is the song has stuck with me.
It stays in your mind long after you listen- which is a great thing!

Also, playing it on your dobro kind of gave it an old-world medieval vibe for me, which was also cool.

Congrats on a great composition.

skaladar

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Cori,

Since you originally mentioned that you wanted to speed up your original “Love Song” composition … and even included your goal in the “chipmunk” version at the end of your video, I thought it would be interesting to hear what it sounded like with the tempo increased but kept at the same pitch. It seems you may have had a change of heart about that based on the feedback you’ve received but I’m not sure you're convinced. I know I wasn't even though I mentioned it.

In any event I thought this would be a good opportunity to put Song Surgeon to work at speeding something up rather than slowing it down as I usually do. I took the liberty (and I seriously hope you don’t mind) of taking your original recording and doing a little cropping and editing. The results below are what you played for us sped up 130% and 150% respectively. For comparison, your chipmunk snippet was at ~175% of the original. I did not strip out the video but I did capture a still of you playing to lay the music over. I also tried it at a few other speeds and I have all the wave files on hand if you want them. Now that I’ve listened to it at a slightly faster tempo I tend to agree with your original thoughts of bringing it up to speed …

I hope you find alternative listen of some use …

♫ Ken ♫

skaladar

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:11 am

Hydroman … all I can say is WOW! … Well, that’s not all that I can say but it’s the first thing that comes to mind. To accomplish what you have in 24 hours (and while working no less) and 2 takes (we won’t count the brain lock take) is pretty amazing regardless of the how simple the song is. And I don’t think it’s all that simple either … Your “focused picking” captures the melody very nicely and I would think that would take a lot longer to get down the way you have. It would for me at least. Your singing is great (who cares if you’re reading) and naturally that adds a level of difficulty to the whole thing that many of us struggle with to the point of frustration. I really enjoyed that.

Thanks for sharing it with us,

♫ Ken ♫

lueders

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:55 pm

skaladar wrote:
Hi Cori,

Since you originally mentioned that you wanted to speed up your original “Love Song” composition … and even included your goal in the “chipmunk” version at the end of your video, I thought it would be interesting to hear what it sounded like with the tempo increased but kept at the same pitch. It seems you may have had a change of heart about that based on the feedback you’ve received but I’m not sure you're convinced. I know I wasn't even though I mentioned it.

In any event I thought this would be a good opportunity to put Song Surgeon to work at speeding something up rather than slowing it down as I usually do. I took the liberty (and I seriously hope you don’t mind) of taking your original recording and doing a little cropping and editing. The results below are what you played for us sped up 130% and 150% respectively. For comparison, your chipmunk snippet was at ~175% of the original. I did not strip out the video but I did capture a still of you playing to lay the music over. I also tried it at a few other speeds and I have all the wave files on hand if you want them. Now that I’ve listened to it at a slightly faster tempo I tend to agree with your original thoughts of bringing it up to speed …

I hope you find alternative listen of some use …

♫ Ken ♫
KEN, WOW MAN!! THANKS FOR GOING TO ALL THAT TROUBLE ON THIS!!! (I certainly don't mind...cool!)
I been away from the computer for a little while and had no idea you were toiling away on this. I'm flattered you went to all that trouble on my behalf... thanks, man! I gotta tell you, this makes me happy as a lark because it means (timing-wise) I must be getting a little better. I was surprised how well it holds up at those speeds. It turns out maybe that wasn't such a crazy idea. I like it both ways, I really do. Before the pitch- altered, chipmunk squeakiness is too distracting and you don't really take it seriously. I guess. Thank you for showing me that it COULD actually work and sound alright. This just proves T.G. is such a great testing ground for songs, techniques, compositions or whatever. And there are people here like you so willing to help out. Still flattered...

I have the song surgeon demo, but for some reason it never occurred to me to use it for this. I'm glad it gave you an excuse to use song surgeon also.
Thanks for the PM on that matter too you're a thoughtful guy, Ken....

lueders

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Al,

I owe you an apology! I am very sorry, man. I didn't even see your response until now.
I don't know what it is about this large busking threads but you can miss a lot of posts and responses if you aren't vigilante.
And that is a shame, because you gave me as good a compliment as a wannabe composer can get! If it sticks in your head, I might be on the right track...
A sincere thank you, Sir.

Cori

lueders

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm

jayswett wrote:
I am a looong way from writing my own music, but I admire you for having that ability. Lovely song, Your fingers seemed to move very comfortably and effortlessly up and down the fretboard.
Thank you Jay, You saying comfortably & effortlessly thing really means a lot to me! Because when I joined T.G. I was more or less just a half*ss flat picker that didn't have too much experience finger picking. It was you and Michele I tried to model myself after in that regard. (Still do for that matter.)

B.t.w. You always say that about being a long way from writing your own stuff. But I don't believe you. Your perfectionism is what you makes such great player with your trademark sparklingly clear tone. But I wish you would throw caution to the wind and try it. I know you would come up something really cool.

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
In another thread about favorite artists of this millennium, I referred to Eleni Mandell and this song. When Cori made the "Busking Love Songs" thread bubble to the top in the last couple of days, I thought this would be a good addition, too. I started learning this about 24 hours ago. Last night, I found lyrics somewhere in the Internet cloud and verified them. This morning, I got up early, worked out the music, and edited and printed my cheat sheets before starting on business calls. During lunch and other breaks, I have worked it into what's posted here. The point is, if I could do that in a day, it's got to be a simple song.

I apologize for being glued to the lyric sheet and the weak vocals, but I just haven't had enough time to commit the words to memory. Eleni usually has a couple of songs that I like right away on each album. A few more take a little bit of time for me to warm up to, and the rest . . . . I never quite get comfortable with them. This is one that I have warmed up to although someone will probably need to hold a flashlight to the lyric sheet if I do it at a campfire.

The reason that the words are so hard for me to retain is that they are so creative and quirky. They aren't very predictable and I don't expect them to spin in the directions that they travel. But that's what I like about them. Still, progress is being made . . . . . . this morning, I could just barely hum the melody. Each time I do it, it gets easier.

This was "Take 2". "Take 1" blew up on me, and, in "Take 3", I had a really bad brain lock at the beginning of the first chorus.

Hope you enjoy this one.

Hydroman52

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Very nice, Hydro.

Wise choice changing the lyrics over the other option you mentioned in the video :huh:

I liked your focused strumming and traveling bass notes. Also liked the way you really got into the song in the bridge.

Thanks for the look.

michelew

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:18 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
In another thread about favorite artists of this millennium, I referred to Eleni Mandell and this song. When Cori made the "Busking Love Songs" thread bubble to the top in the last couple of days, I thought this would be a good addition, too. I started learning this about 24 hours ago. Last night, I found lyrics somewhere in the Internet cloud and verified them. This morning, I got up early, worked out the music, and edited and printed my cheat sheets before starting on business calls. During lunch and other breaks, I have worked it into what's posted here. The point is, if I could do that in a day, it's got to be a simple song.

I apologize for being glued to the lyric sheet and the weak vocals, but I just haven't had enough time to commit the words to memory. Eleni usually has a couple of songs that I like right away on each album. A few more take a little bit of time for me to warm up to, and the rest . . . . I never quite get comfortable with them. This is one that I have warmed up to although someone will probably need to hold a flashlight to the lyric sheet if I do it at a campfire.

The reason that the words are so hard for me to retain is that they are so creative and quirky. They aren't very predictable and I don't expect them to spin in the directions that they travel. But that's what I like about them. Still, progress is being made . . . . . . this morning, I could just barely hum the melody. Each time I do it, it gets easier.

This was "Take 2". "Take 1" blew up on me, and, in "Take 3", I had a really bad brain lock at the beginning of the first chorus.

Hope you enjoy this one.

Hydroman52

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Nice one Hydroman. I really like your relaxed style and your voice is great. 'not too bad' indeed.

I've been checking out Elleni on your recommendation. She has a kookie quality to her music that is very cool.

Good to see this thread surface again. I reckon there're more love songs out there to add to the list.

OK hands up, 'fess up everyone that is busting to do a love song. Don't be shy. Here's your chance. Bring them on.

M.

Michele

tovo

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:27 am

I really wanted to add to Shel's love songs thread. So...now I have!

michelew

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 am

Tony,

It's nice to see you posting a love song in this thread. It must have been hard to find one right?. There are so few. :)

And nice choice of band. This is a beautiful song and you played and sang in sweetly.

I was discussing this song the other day with my brother in-law (make that not a law yet), so it's interesting that you chose this song today.

Nice to hear your voice too. And I love the beard.

Very nice.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic