Busking Love Songs

willem

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 am

Nice song Tony,,i love this choise,,well it is song by a female and there is lately some discusion a baut female songs/lesson ,, i listen to the original to refresh my memorie and must say you do this very nice,,when i listen to the original i heard on some beats a bell ringin maybe it would be nice to add that on you pickin with the high string(maybe on beat three),,this is just an idea that i want give back on your idea the give us this song,,thank you..

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am

Wonderful job Tony! Great choice of song and very well picked and sung. That sound set up of yours is a winner and adds a lot to the whole thing.
I'm not convinced it was you under the burglar's hat but Shel seems to have recognised your beard so that's good enough for me!

suziko

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 am

Tony,

Nice to see this thread revived. I've always loved this song by the Bangles, and I liked your version of it, too.

Suzi

MarkM

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 am

Tony,

Nice job pal. One of your strongest in my opinion. Nice chord changes while you were singing and the reverb on the vocals really worked out well. Your playing is getting stronger every day!!!!

MarkM

7645slug

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:08 am

That was very nice Tony! :)

'Eternal Flame', it's such a nice and beautiful lovesong, gosh I was 16 at that time, time flies...

Again, that was a lovely job Tony, nice to hear a femalesong done by a guy. And yes, your setup suites your playing and singing very well.

Thank for sharing it with us!

Ness

Craig

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:15 am

Nice job Tony! Very solid effort all the way around...playing, singing, set up, choice of song. Well done.
Craig

dennisg

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know this song, but I sure enjoyed your version of it, Tony.

I'm wondering if you would mind describing what's different about your system that you're getting such improved recording quality lately.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Tony, I didn't know the tune. This is very smooth, it's a pleasant, even cheery, listening experience.
I see the progress in your vocal experiments ... nice picking.
Good technical work also, but the sofa is the clincher. I hope you plan on it being there at your first open mike :P .

Pierre

tovo

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Shel: Thanks. Yeah I know what you mean...not many love songs around to chose from!

Willem: Thanks mate, yes a bit more high E string would probably add some variety.

Chris: Every man needs a beanie. Required clothing in an Australian winter. Thanks for your comment on the tune as well mate.

Suzi: Glad you like the tune and feel I did a reasonable job. It's actually quite instructive to do a tune by a female singer, because right away it's a stark contrast to the original. I quite like that. It takes away that temptation to try emulate the singer.

Mark: Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing you back. Hope you have settled in down South y'all.

Ness: Is that tune by a woman?? I didn't realise! ;) You're right...time flies for sure. I still find myself humming "Manic Monday" sometimes! Thanks Ness.

Craig: Thanks mate, always appreciated.

Den: I often don't know tunes covered here. Your "Killing the Blues" duet remains my strong favourite. In terms of setup, I just threw some money at it to be honest. The main component is a 7 channel, 200w Peavey Mixer. (MP600 if you want to google it). I am using line in for my instrument, and an XLR connection for my mic. I have an 800w Berringer PA so I can hear myself without using headphones as I prefer not to wear them. I intend to add a USB interface so that I can record the output of the mixer to my Mac. At this stage I have a line out connection to my Zi8. I know we discussed that being the weak link in the sound, but honestly I'm not sure I need any better than I'm getting right now. I know myself well enough to know I will still try it though, just out of interest. I also ordered another mic in case I get a visitor.

Pierre: Thanks for your comment on the tune. Funny you mention the sofa. I usually play up in the house on a different sofa which is much higher. The one you see in this video is considerably lower, and it actually takes some getting used to. I figure it's a good thing to do though...only being able to play in one "favourite spot" would be a bit limiting!

Lavallee

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:12 pm

HI Tony very nice song you are playing. It is great that you can focus on the words without worrying about the guitar, as obviously you have an excellent control on it. Your playing is steady. Good voice again.

Love it

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic