Busking Cat Stevens

sws626

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:12 pm

So I wanted to start a busking thread for Cat Stevens, but don't know how to play any of his songs. How hard can it be, right? Well, it turns out that this song is very appropriately named -- and a lot harder than I thought it would be, as you'll see.

I feel compelled to paraphrase another forum member who wrote some long time ago something like, "I hope the guitar will distract you from my singing -- and vice versa."

This is also for Vanessa, who's been urging me to get friendlier with the camera and sing LOUD.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dennisg

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 pm

That was terrific, Stuart. I don't know how you did it, but you managed to capture the whole Cat Stevens vibe -- no easy thing! I'm looking forward to a lot more videos from you.

willem

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:12 pm

:woohoo: I'm freakin,,very creativ Stuart,,can say a word anymore,, ARE YOU REALLY CAT STEVENS???? :laugh:

tovo

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey Stuart, so nice to séé you even closer! ;)

And well done on the playing and singing, you have a very relaxed and smooth sound in your voice, that is really nice to listen to. As for the guitarplaying, guess that I understand what you mean by having 'trouble' playing it, but I think you're well on your way. Sometimes a song needs to grow on you if you know what I mean, just keep playing it!

Thanks a lot for sharing and for letting us have a close-up on you!! :P

Ness

tovo

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Absolutely agree with Dennis and Willem. Stuart you have a great voice for the Cat. Really terrific to see you singing and there is definitely no reason for you not to do it more often.

I will be plotting to add to this thread at some point.

Great job mate.

Craig

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Stuart,
Great job! Your voice is a natural for Cat stevens songs. I hope to hear many more from you.
Craig

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Great job Stuart, great fit for the Cats voice, intrigued by all the mics though, I guess you know a thing or two about sound set ups, I've never seen two mics in front like that (apart from your first vid with that set up lol).

ffsooo3

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Looks like it's a tough song to play timing-wise. But good job and nice sound. How about doing "Father and Son" next????

wrench

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Very enjoyable, Stuart. I think you could improve your strumming pattern a little, but the singing is a different story - it was magnificent. The similarity of your voice to Cat Stevens' is uncanny. More, please!

Do I see a TG Tribute Band off in the distance?

haoli25

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:26 pm

You ROCK, Stuart! That was great. I am a Cat Stevens fan too and I really enjoyed watching your video. Thanks for posting it.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic