How do you video yourselves?

lil40

Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:39 am

Hi guys,

I'm not sure this is the right place to post but:

How do you take your videos? Do you all have a video camera or can you take a video via your laptop as well?

I'm dying to join the busking thread but don't know how to put my ugly mug on camera :laugh:

Thanks!

Lil

michelew

Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Lil,

It would be great to see a video from you. I have an iMac, which has an in-built camera. I use iMovie to store and edit the footage. I have been converting it from mv4 format to avi format lately for the uploader, which has been really downgrade the quality. However, I will be soon converting it to mp4 which can be uploaded without any quality loss apparently.

Others here use little video cameras too. I'm sure you'll get additional responses that will be more helpful. You might also like to try this group.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... eo+Techies

Good luck.

I look forward to seeing your first video. I found it nerve wracking, but believe me it gets easier. I think I recorded my first song about 100 times before I finally put something up. But, hey that's one of the advantages of being able the record rather than just having to play live in-real time.

See you soon. Have fun!

Michele

willem

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:10 am

Hello Lil,I have JVC HANDYCAM WITH TAPE,,IT IS THE SIMPELST WAY AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO CONVERT AND DOWNLOADING FROM CAM TO COMPUTER GOES EASY ALL YOU NEED IS FIRE/WIRE ON YOR COMPUTER AND A FIRE/WIRE CABLE,,ON THE COMPUTER YOU USE WINDOW/MOVIE MAKER TO EDIT YOUR VID TO ONE YOU PLEASED WITH. THE FORMAT WOULD BE AVI. THIS FORMAT GOES QUICKLY IN UPLOADING TO YOUTUBE OR THE SITE..

jUST START SIMPLE AND FOLLOW ALL KIND OF DISCUSIONS TO MAKE IT MORE QUALTY IN SOUND AND PICTURE, I JUST PURSHASED tthe ''BOSS MICRO BR'' A DIGITAL SOUND RECORDER WITH ALL KIND OF POSIBILTY'S TO MAKE THE SOUND YOU WANT,, A MUST HAVE ON YOUR COMPUTER IS ''AUDACITY'' ALSO A PROGRAM YOU CAN WORK WITH SOUND(FREE ON THE NET).

this is my 2 cents,,i'm sure you get more advise,,goodluck and looking forward to your busking..

lil40

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks you two!

I´ll have to try my inbuilt camera on the laptop as I haven´t got a proper camera.

Will get Xmas out the way first and then fiddle with it...

BUT: Don´t expect too much on the guitar playing front as I´ve only started in April this year :huh:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:21 am

Hi Lil, the first videos I did were all with my laptop camera and all the sound tracks I've done have been through the laptop too. Just point the camera and go for it! ;-)
Some things to think about:

- Needs good lighting. Dark will not show up well. Llighting up you and the guitar, not the coming from behind you from too white walls!
- Think about what you want to have in the background .. tidy up the room!
- Maybe place something to soften vibration under the laptop as the laptop mic will pick up the buzz of the cooling fan and you'll hear it on your recording.

lil40

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for those brilliant tips neverfoundthetime!

I wouldn't have thought about the cooling fan...

As for cleaning up I will try to find the emptiest area in the house, somewhere that is not covered in kids toys :laugh:

Thanks again guys and I will definitely go for it next week.

Merry Xmas to all of you - I hope you have a great time!

haoli25

Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Well I see you've already got a bunch of great tips!

And you do understand that I'm particularly curious for the strumming wich you analysed just perfectly! :P

No seriously, it's always great to see members post, so I definitely will be looking forward to one of yours!

Cheers

Vanessa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic