Busking Mississippi John Hurt

beaker

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:08 pm

This is my version of Mississippi John Hurt's Spike Driver's Blues. Unfortunately I have not worked up the vocals yet. This version is just instrumental. I hope you like it. Please if you have another Mississippi John Hurt song please add it to this thread!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tombo1230

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 am

Hi Beaker!

I can't believe I missed that upload...saw it coincedently on facebook...however, well now we all know (I'm relatively new to the site, maybe others already know) that you can strum, you can solo and you can do fingerstyle really easily, good job man!

It's a pity, my closet doesn't contain any M. John Hurt-tunes..didn't know the guy, only when Neil put up a few songs of him, great fingerstyle-stuff of course!

Anyway, thanks for posting, I enjoyed seeing you again!

cheers

Ness..

Lavallee

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:04 am

Nice playing Beaker. It looks fun to play . All these lessons that Neil just put up are in line to be learned. They all sound interesting. You really handle the alternating bass line very well.

Marc

dennisg

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:23 am

Way to go, Beaker! That was really nice.

dekotaj

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 am

Bravo!!!Sir,

Cant say I know any J.Hurt tunes.But I like the lessons Neils put up.Really enjoyed watching you do this tune.Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
Kevin

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Well done, Beaker!

Can't say I know much of John Hurt- or the blues in general- but your vid has piqued my interest fo' sho'!

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi beaker, great run on the picking pattern, it encourages me to try it.
This would be worth playing back on an endless loop, but I'm afraid it may give a kind of barnyard rhythm to my stride (chicken-like?).

Which reminds me of a Mississippi John Hurt song I like a lot because the murder he sings about here does not involve a human being.

michelew

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Beaker,

Great job. I'm also a stranger to Mississippi John Hurt. A new world to explore.

This tune looks like a real workout. But, again you're handling it with ease.

Thanks for sharing.

Michele

waggis

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Great job Beaker! Looks like you were having fun playing the piece. I first heard of Mississippi John Hurt when I was trying to learn a John Fahey song called "Requiem for Mississippi John Hurt" which also turned out to be to difficult or me. I am looking forward to learning some of his songs when I get a chance.

David

beaker

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Vanessa, Marc, Dennis, Kevin, Al, CosmicMechanic, Michelle, David,....

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate it. I hope to see one or all of you add to this thread at some point. this guy's songs are really cool, as you have no doubt seen from Neil's latest songs. I credit Neil for helping me learn this one indirectly because as a stepping stone, I first learned Shade Of Funk, which is really quite similar to Spike Driver's Blues. I will attach a great You Tube vid that was very inspirational to me. Well, this vid and the versions done by Jerry Garcia which are really great, but quite a bite slower tempo. Play on guys!!!!! Thanks again, Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic