Collaboration of Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Great show, guys. You both look to be quite comfortable adapting to each other's playing.
Chris is Mr "Wall of Sound" and Marc, nice picking and good touch near the end switching to
sweeping across some chords that add some drama.

Last episode of video from this visit ?! :dry: Awww.

michelew

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Chris and Marc,

That sounded great. Gee imagine if you could get together on a regular basis. You'd be releasing your own album too. But, then you've probably got enough solo material between the two of you already

Thanks.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:35 am

Thanks for tuning in folks!

Michele and Dermot, we looked at some songs we wanted to de before we met up. On the list was Wish you were Here and Year of the Cat as well as those you've seen so we were already thinking about what we would do. You've got to Hide your Love away was a spontaneous choice and just the warm-up but it worked well. Wish turned to be more difficult as it seems I've been playing a couple of bits slightly wrong and I wasn't able to throw the habit so we quickly abandoned it although Marc had the solo and fills worked out. I was used to playing this with a friend and we just did it differently. I ended up not being able to play it the new or old way! The Wreck was also a little more challenging than I thought as we had to map out the pauses which are irregular and I was using Neil's chords but after about 4 try-outs we got it going. It was interesting to note that we are wired very differently. Marc learns by the book and by the notation and I am playing by ear and fitting things together took a few songs to find out how to fit together. An interesting moment which illustrates the point is when Marc was playing the riff to The Wreck and I was doing the Neil chords and I forgot my capo (my guitar is tuned down) and Marc happily played the riff over my "wrong" chords and it didn't phase him at all! As I was using my ears I was thinking... what the... but he played right through no problem. The moves must be hard wired in his brain! I wish we had that on video.

Pierre, Marc had some nice little add ons going here and I was enjoying listening to it as we played. Yep, last one for this visit!

Al, great to see we added something to your repertoire. Oddly, I knew more Lightfoot songs than Marc (Oh Canada!! ;-)) ... he said it was because he was into heavier rock at the time, I was into folk in earlier years.

Chas, yeah lot of license taken... Gord didn't mention the 30th soul - ship's cat Garfiield either! ;-)

Thanks Kev, Anton and Bill, You can see the fun we had (Marc is very easy to get along with and play with) and I am a huge Lightfoot fan Bill and we played Never too Close and Cold on the Shoulder too.

willem

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 am

I loved the whole marathon and you both finisch well, what a pleaser it can be when you know the stuff by memory and feel the freedom of playing and singin,,

jayswett

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Well done, gentlemen. I haven't been on TG as much as I'd like due to a number or reasons (none of them bad), so I have alot of catching up to do. This snowstorm in New England is allowing me to do just that. I will get to your other collaboration vids today.

waggis

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Good job Marc and Chris! You guys were quite productive that night. It must have been all the raclette cheese and red wine you had at dinner that energized you both...lol Marc mentioned in the Irish pub that he was working on this song, but I did not know that you two were planning a duet. Nice job.

David

AndyT

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Great job you two!
I missed all the others. Please give a link to them so I can go back and watch them also.

Thats what happens when you're gone for a couple of weeks.

songman52

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 am

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry, I'm late to the party, there are so many uploads, wich is great of course, but it's hard not to lose track... :blink:

I agree with Al, you've saved the best for last, you've got yourself another great video, enjoyed it very much! Just sounded great all around, you make a perfect team!

Cheers

Ness(i) :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic