Busking Indigo Girls

Music Junkie

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:57 pm

JHall wrote:
MJ, both the mic and guitar plug into the VL2 and then just a single XLR (mic cable) goes into the USB interface to my laptop. Once you set the overall gain on the USB interface, you can control the mix from the VL2. A foot switch on the VL2 switches the harmony on/off. It's great for live performance.

John
John:

Thanks for the feedback. Darn cool toy there. I will have to learn more about the mixing and recording first.... :)

MJ

suziko

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Wow, that was a beautiful version of Secure Yourself. You have such a great voice for this song!

Suzi

tvarga

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Gosh, that was a gréat video! :cheer:

Playing is great, singing is great, great song.....uh...more greats? I'm sure, but you get the picture! :P

I enjoyed it very much!!

May I ask you John, you perform right? So when you do, do you interact with the audience?

I mean, you play and sing effortlessly, it all sounds really great (here you go, another 'great' ;) ), so the only thing that I personally miss a little is some interaction with the ones who watch your videos. There is performing and there is performing, do you know what I mean? Or am I asking too much?

I didn't enjoy it any less John, but I do think you could add some more to it, since you got all the tools (playing and singing) already, however it's just a suggestion of course and really meant well for that matter and I definitely look forward to your next video!

Cheers

Ness

michelew

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 pm

JHall wrote:
Thanks Michele, I can play/sing "Power of Two" from Swamp Ophelia... been playing that one for a long time now. I used to play "Hey Jesus", "Welcome Me", "Hammer And A Nail","Southland" and some others. "Crazy Game"!!!!... I could maybe play the flute part... :) but the guitar part is probably over my head. I would love to hear your precise finger picking skills on something like "Left Me A Fool". So many great guitar songs from them... let's see them here!!!

John
Those are all great songs John. I'd love to hear 'Power of Two'.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have any IG songs up my sleeve yet. ... MUST do something about that. But, thanks for your confidence in me - I'll take a look at 'Left Me a Fool', which I'm listening to right now. It's a beautiful song. Mind you...I think I'd be crying like a fool if I try to sing it.

M.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Just great John! Really good sound and nice green screen effect (which made the guitar a bit mirror-like). Great post!

JHall

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm

MJ, I'd be happy to answer any questions about mixing/recording... just PM me or ask me here, either way.

Thanks Suzi.

Ness! You are SO right! I almost did a second take after seeing the painful faces I was making during this video... but it was really late at night and I was so tired I just said "oh well". Yes, I do perform some at open mic's and used to busk in NYC in the park and in the subway. I do interact with a live audience when I have one... but mostly between songs... not much during, other than looking at the audience at times. I'm usually somewhat nervous concentrating more on the chords/lyrics but then loosen up more after the first song. I wish it really was effortless for me... but I have to really concentrate on lyrics or I'll screw them up... it's a thing with me. Even songs I've sung for years, I'll forget the lyrics out of the blue. It's tough to play to an audience when it's just you and the video camera... you seem to be able to do it in your videos, which is really great and makes them more fun to watch. I will definitely make an effort to improve on this aspect... thanks for mentioning it and thanks for helping me to become a better performer.

Michele, OK, I'll work on getting "Power of Two" recorded... been wanting to do it for a while now anyway. Can't wait to here your first IG song!!!

Thanks, Chris. Yeah, I've had the green screen for a few months now and just decided to use it, thanks for noticing... way better than my cluttered music room! :)

Let's rock this thread!!!! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic