Busking Indigo Girls

JHall

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:39 am

My version of "Secure Yourself", the second track off their self-titled album released in 1988. I've always thought that the Indigo Girls were great guitar players, song writers, and vocalists. This video was recorded live using the TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 vocal processor for the harmonies. The original IG recording has a much more interesting vocal arrangement which would require multitrack recording for me to emulate. This is me working on a version that I could possibly play at a local open mic show.
Let me know if you want to hear/see more IG songs here... I do play "Closer To Fine" and several others (well "attempt" to play/sing them).

ffsooo3

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:08 pm

Well of course we want to hear/see more from you. "Closer to Fine" would be GREAT. Nice green screen effect BTW.

jayswett

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 pm

I'd like to see you play Kid Fears, which is a song I like alot. Nice version of Secure Yourself.

JHall

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks Daryl. Yeah, I've had that green screen for several months now and finally decided to give it a try. This is also my first video produced using my PC (Corel VideoStudio Pro) instead of my Mac (iMovie). The last OS update on my Mac messed up iMovie pretty good and I got frustrated last night and switched platforms. I've been singing "Bleeker Street" in the car for a while now so I'm going to get that out soon... I know you worked hard on learning that song at my request and I want to do your guitar playing justice.

ffsooo3

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:53 pm

JHall wrote:
Thanks Daryl. Yeah, I've had that green screen for several months now and finally decided to give it a try. This is also my first video produced using my PC (Corel VideoStudio Pro) instead of my Mac (iMovie). The last OS update on my Mac messed up iMovie pretty good and I got frustrated last night and switched platforms. I've been singing "Bleeker Street" in the car for a while now so I'm going to get that out soon... I know you worked hard on learning that song at my request and I want to do your guitar playing justice.
Patience is a virtue (or so I'm told). :)

JHall

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks Jay. "Kid Fears" is another great song. That one might sound better as a multi-track video given the distinct, overlaid strumming/picking guitar parts and vocals (...collaboration???). I bet you could play those picking parts better than me!

John

Edit: just listened to "Kid Fears"... man, that has lot's of parts to it!

buddy

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Jhall, Way to rick that song my friend. fantastic playing ans singing !!!!!

Music Junkie

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:21 pm

John:

I saw that you were using the Voice Live 2. My local dealer has that and it looks very interesting. I am not too savvy with recording and was wondering if you used only one mic and ran everything through VL2, or if you used two mics and just ran the vocals through VL2. The results were solid, so I am curious..... :)

Jason

michelew

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:53 pm

John,

WOW! Beautiful rendition.

If you're taking requests anything on the album is great like 'Blood and Fire', or how about Crazy Game, Strange Fire. The list goes on of course. I'd love to here any other IG songs you have up your sleeve.

Thanks

Michele

JHall

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks all. For some reason I'm not getting my thread notification emails from TG anymore... have to look into that.

Thanks Buddy. MJ, both the mic and guitar plug into the VL2 and then just a single XLR (mic cable) goes into the USB interface to my laptop. Once you set the overall gain on the USB interface, you can control the mix from the VL2. A foot switch on the VL2 switches the harmony on/off. It's great for live performance. Thanks Michele, I can play/sing "Power of Two" from Swamp Ophelia... been playing that one for a long time now. I used to play "Hey Jesus", "Welcome Me", "Hammer And A Nail","Southland" and some others. "Crazy Game"!!!!... I could maybe play the flute part... :) but the guitar part is probably over my head. I would love to hear your precise finger picking skills on something like "Left Me A Fool". So many great guitar songs from them... let's see them here!!!

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic