Busking Indigo Girls

schm040

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 am

My first upload. I've been working on the audio and video set up this weekend and would like some feedback on the AV and the strumming.
Thanks all, great to be a TG member. I will be away for a few weeks but when I return I will be posting more.

MattTGMassachusetts

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 am

Strumming seems good to me. Smooth and controlled. Video is nice and clear. The audio is a bit harsh/trebly to my ears. The volume was good. Perhaps if you moved the mike a little near to the lower bout (pointing at the bridge/saddle) you might get a little more bass. Looking forward to more uploads from you!

schm040

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:09 pm

I know what you mean, it does seem to be missing the bass and is too trebly. I will work on that.

I am using GarageBand, which at first I hated (Im a PC guy), but now that I figured most of it out, it is not bad I guess. I am recording the audio and video separately because my camcorder doesn't do mics very well. I have a Shure KSM 109 mic and am sending the mic to the IMac via a Tascam US-122. I am happy with the audio quality I just need to work on the mic placement. At first it was too close and I was clipping. I moved it away about 18 inches but as you said, I am not getting the full range.

Of course playing guitar is alot like bowling, you can't always blame the oil on the lanes or the ball you are using!!!

My guitar is a Taylor 420 about 12 years old. I am using medium gage strings and a thin pick. (I use a thin pick because I really like to play with my fingers most of the time and I seem to have better control with the thin picks for now)

Thanks for the feedback.

MattTGMassachusetts

dekotaj

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey Matt,

Got to go with Daryl on this one,sounds good.Cant wait to hear more from you.

Thanks for posting.
Kevin

schm040

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:09 pm

I just posted Old Man to the Neil Young busking page. I think the audio is improved.

I will be away for a few weeks as I said, but am looking forward to more posting and discussions with all of you.

Yes, I am bringing my guitar with me while I am away at the Jersey shore!!!

MattMassachusetts

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Sound quality on "Old Man" is much much better. Did you change room location as well as mike placement?

schm040

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 pm

No, just moved the mic as you said and adjusted the equalizer a bit in GarageBand.

michelew

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Matt,

I LOVE the Indigo Girls and was just getting into your video when you stopped. The little bit you offered us sounded good, perhaps a little tinny. But, I'm hoping you'll post the complete song when you return from your journey.

Michele

willem

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 am

The 31 seconds sounded great,i alway's like the sound of the G with added d , i believe we call it Gadd5?

sws626

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Matt,

Enjoyed this post and am eager now to get over to the Neil Young thread to see what you've got for us there. Just experimenting myself with mic placement, so can't offer any suggestions other than trial and error. Maybe if you could adjust the gain on your input you could get the mic in closer. Look forward to hearing the whole song soon.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic