Collaboration of "The Fence"

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 am

I would put money down that you don’t know this song—“The Fence”—by Peter Katz. It’s based on what happened to Matthew Shepard that night over ten years ago now. Helen and I had vague memories of Matthew in the news, but didn’t re-investigate until AFTER we had recorded the song. I’m glad, as I don’t think we could have recorded it the other way around. Way too tough—but amazingly written by Peter Katz. If you don’t know Matthew Shepard’s story, I suggest you google it, then listen to the song. (Check out Peter Katz too. He’s quite the talent.)

About the song- it is both mine and H’s nemesis! Peter has such a strange picking pattern that was so tough for me to grasp. I don’t know if it’s that unorthodox, or if it’s that advanced, but it put me through the wringer! It’s one of those songs where you get more and more nervous the closer you get to the end, if you haven’t made a mistake yet (especially when someone else is counting on you to get it right!)
H also found it difficult. Draining to sing—and that was BEFORE knowing what the lyrics really referred to.

Anyway, I didn’t know where to put this. It’s not a busking song, and it’s not a student review video. Just wanted to share it before I head off.

Take care everyone!

Al

***Edit- I added a live performance by Peter Katz to the second page of this thread for those that are interested. He came to H's school as part of S.A.S.S. (School Alliance of Singer Songwriters).

dekotaj

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 am

MR.& MRS.AL,

I cant tell you two what a great feeling I get from watching you folks playing and singing together.Just fantastic songs you two have been putting up.Look like some tricky chords AL and some rough finger picking.Mrs.Al fantastic vocals.

Thanks you two for posting another great song.
Hey Al maybe next time you can do one that's not black & white.Be nice to see you guys in color?

Kevin
BRAVO!!!

MarkM

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 am

Ahem...... Please let me pick up my jaw from the floor and grab some tissues..........

Mrs. Al your voice is hauntingly beautiful on this song. That is one heck of a gift you have there.

Mr Al as always you exceed my expectations with every new video you put up. Your playing was extremely good here. Nice and delicate and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

You two are putting up some seriously great videos. What a great thing to be able to share between the two of you. Outstanding!!!

MarkM

wrench

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:13 am

Spectacular. You guys are really gifted together, and we are really lucky you share it with us.

Al, for a future project, how about mixing in an audio keyboard track of your daughter's, and make this a total family affair?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 am

Helen that was just stunning and captivating!
Al was his usual reliable self too.
Excellent job on a difficult song. I'm sure folks out there have begun to notice that the slower the song is, the more difficult it is to perform well. So what were you listening to Al, the original or a click track or a basic track for yourself?

willem

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

I find you so you can come over the fence,,don't hide anymore.this i enjoyed so much,really and i did not research what's the story is about yet so for me it can only be better,,

Helen again,,such a beautifull impressive warm voice,atleast for this kind of song's go never belting just impressing.

Al,that was nice picking,,when the tempo is slow that does'nt mean it is easer,,cos you can't hide and every note must ring out,well,well done.

I love this kind of performing,,music that is very litlle..

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Kevin- Actually most of the chords aren't that tricky- it's the righthand plucking that I found tough.
and sure, our next video will be in colour.

Mark- Yes it is a moving song, even without knowing the background. Thanks for your comments.

Dan- We'll have to see about that one. I've been bugging her a bit, but no dice yet.

Chris- You're right about the pace of the song. Slow is HARD! And I was actually too fast. Should have been slower.
As far as the headphones- I'm actually just listening to a mix of H and myself. Just find it easier to play that way.

Willem- Glad you like this kind of music. You're right- there's no hiding your playing this way.
You're in for a sad read when you do get around to learning Mattew's story. You'll hear the song in an entirely different way.

ffsooo3

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Beautiful. Lovely singing. Excellent guitar playing. Definitely difficult picking and some awkward chord fingerings. But a great job. Loved the knowing look from Hellen at the very end.

BobR

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Al / Helen,

I enjoyed that a lot. Looks a bit tricky on the guitar Al, but you did a really good job. Helen the vocals are amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

I will go google this later

for now great job.

Bob

NKenny

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm

You two are so good together. Helen you have a beautiful voice, it is very comforting. Al nice picking, you are one lucky man to share these times with your wife.

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic