Collaboration of "The Fence"

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Craig- Thanks for your comment. There's talk of us playing something at a friend's retirement this year, so we'll keep you posted.

Chas- No one's knocking down our door yet, but we'll keep you posted on that too :)
Although interestingly Helen has been in contact with Peter Katz, and he's able to read this forum- as it's in the public section. He tweeted about it- so that's cool. As I mentioned in the first post, he's a talented Toronto artist, and so check him out if you like this tune, or 'Posters' that we put up last time.

Vanessa- Glad you liked it. I too have liked all of your vids. I wonder how many I'll miss while I'm gone??

Jay- Thank you.

McFingers- Thanks. As I said earlier, it became even more moving when we realized what 'the fence' was.

Tammy- Nice to get your 'WoW'.

Pierre- Nice quote. Thanks.

Marc- Very observant. I did have my guitar turned down a bit. H's mic isn't new though. But she does complain about how sensitive it is-- says she can't even breathe without it getting picked up! (Divas!!)

Dave- You snuck in there while I was typing. Thanks for checking it out and your comments.

tombo1230

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 pm

I think you guys excelled yourselves this time! You just keep getting better and better. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Looking forward to the next one.

Encore! encore!

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks

Hydroman52

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 am

Hi Al and Mrs. Al,

Great work on this song. It’s very haunting without the back story and double what I just said when you know the rest. Hey Al, how does it feel to just make background noise for a superb voice? Thanks for enlightening us about Peter Katz, I’ll be checking it out shortly.

If you decide to take requests, you really should check out Patty Larkin and her song Just a Few Words from her Regrooving the Dream album. It is only three chords in a funky tuning . . . . . I think Patty refers to it as “Open C with a D on top” (C G C G C D) Patty Larkin on songwriting. Mrs. Al’s voice was made for this song and it is similar to The Fence. In fact, I think that you could teach Mrs. Al the guitar part in a very short time and she could do the whole works by herself. Don’t you have a spare guitar lying around after getting that Martin? If your curiosity is piqued, I have a Guitar Pro file almost finished on this song including lyrics.

If you two do a gig somewhere, be sure to record and share some of it with us.

Hydroman52

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 am

“Music is the silence between the notes.”
..and silence is the name we give to the tone that started vibrating at the beginning of the universe which will cease only at the end of time.

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks

suziko

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:28 am

Al and Helen,

Really beautifully done in every respect.

For anyone who doesn't know much about Matthew Shepard, I'd highly recommend the movie The Laramie Project. Just make sure you've got a box of tissues nearby.

Suzi

jayswett

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 am

Watched again and was again amazed. One of my favorite videos ever posted to TG. I can' tbelieve this Peter Katz character can play it any better than that.

sws626

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Al & Helen,

That was simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us. I hadn't known about Peter Katz, but will definitely check out his music now.
I rewatched The Laramie Project not long ago and second Suzi's recommendation. A very sad story, but hopefully one we can all learn something from.

-Stuart

Hydroman52

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:56 am

Hey Mr. & Mrs. Al of the Acoustics,

Thanks for turning me on to the Peter Katz music. This guy is, for lack of a better term, very “open source” with his music. It’s nice to find a gem hidden amongst all the fluff and hype.

This is sort of a quiet shout about this gentleman and his music. I can see what you see in his music and him as a person. Besides, anyone who likes chimney swifts can’t be terribly bad.

Thanks again,
Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic