Busking Moody Blues

Lavallee

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm

dennisg wrote:
You've got to admire a guy who's as passionate about a band as Chris is with the Moody Blues. It's been really enjoyable over the past few years watching Chris's uploads of his Moodies videos, not to mention reading his interpretations of their lyrics. It's all been good fun.

So I thought I'd say thanks to Chris for his many contributions to TG by recording a Moody Blues song for him. Never Comes the Day is one of those songs I used to hear back in the early '70s whose beauty just made me shake my head at how a band could produce such sounds. It's also one of those songs that almost never gets any airplay on the radio. I came across it accidentally on YouTube while searching for something else, and watching the Moodies perform it took me back to another time in my life, the details of which I'll spare you.

The tuning is unusual: it's a modified open-G, except that the low E string is left untouched. Therefore, the tuning (from low to high) is E-G-D-G-B-D. Then I dropped the whole thing down 2 steps to accommodate my voice.

This song fits in with the Rhythm thread, because I don't really play it the same way twice, just sort of going where my fingers take me, including into dark corners I tend to regret. But here it is, warts and all.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.
Hi Dennis sorry for the late reply. I have been a Moody blues fan since the 70's . I always loved that song. I have seen you play during the camp and when you say with warts and all, I know it will sound perfect you are a damn good player. That tuning and the effect make your guitar sounds so rich and professional.

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:11 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
My reply to Dennis' Never Comes The Day upload.

As I had my 12 string in open G tuning by my side after having put it there a half hour before Dennis posted his lovely video on the very same song... put my iphone on an adjacent chair, picked up my guitar and played as good as I could. Not polished yet and I make several slips changing chords and I have to concentrate on the slides so much I almost can't sing the words at the same time but its getting better all the time. This was loads of fun and I have to thank Dennis for an infusion of energy at a time when my batteries have been way flat!

Hi Chris, so good to see you sing with a smile. You have such a Moody Blues voice and I know the passion you have for the group. You just know these songs inside out and your guitar is following your voice smoothly.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for tuning in Shel, Terry and Marc. Suzi, Shel, I guess the only thing that was missing in the video was one of those line-ups which Tony loves so much! Now I'm off for a hair cut and shave...

MarkM

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 am

Dennis and Chris it is remarkable how two great minds think alike!! It was great to see two of my favorite TG'ers perform once again. You both did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing with the group.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Mark! The feeling is mutual ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic