Busking Moody Blues

haoli25

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:43 pm

I don't even know where to start, Chris. Your playing, singing, and multi-track editing were all just SUPERB. It is with a huge smile on my face I head back to watch your video again and again. Thanks for sharing your hard work with us, Chris.

Bill

dennisg

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:49 pm

You've got to admire a guy who's as passionate about a band as Chris is with the Moody Blues. It's been really enjoyable over the past few years watching Chris's uploads of his Moodies videos, not to mention reading his interpretations of their lyrics. It's all been good fun.

So I thought I'd say thanks to Chris for his many contributions to TG by recording a Moody Blues song for him. Never Comes the Day is one of those songs I used to hear back in the early '70s whose beauty just made me shake my head at how a band could produce such sounds. It's also one of those songs that almost never gets any airplay on the radio. I came across it accidentally on YouTube while searching for something else, and watching the Moodies perform it took me back to another time in my life, the details of which I'll spare you.

The tuning is unusual: it's a modified open-G, except that the low E string is left untouched. Therefore, the tuning (from low to high) is E-G-D-G-B-D. Then I dropped the whole thing down 2 steps to accommodate my voice.

This song fits in with the Rhythm thread, because I don't really play it the same way twice, just sort of going where my fingers take me, including into dark corners I tend to regret. But here it is, warts and all.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Amazing Dennis, I just put my guitar down from playing Never Comes The Day (which I'm working on... love the tuning) and see your post! YOur video is not yet uploaded but I'm waiting with baited breath...

Many thanks for the very kind sentiment and comments, I very much appreciate it!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Lovely job Dennis, really nicely sung too... love the sound of that Taylor on this, wow!

Thanks so much that was a blast!

Big smile over my face right now...

Chris

Craig

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Dennis,
I really enjoyed that, very nice tune. I'm not familiar with the song, but thought you sounded great. I admire the slides and pinky hammer-ons which both tend to cause me timing problems. Well done all the way around.

Craig

daryl

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 pm

That Taylor has great sustain! I don't know the song at all, but it's got Moody Blues all over it. Nicely played and sung. Was the guitar connected to an amp (and picked up by the mic.) or connected via a usb digital interface? And where was the mic positioned? I didn't see it in the video at all.

Thanks for the upload!

syndes

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Great job Dennis! Applaud your voice and challenging special open G tuning.

dennisg

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Chris: Is that a weird coincidence, or what? What are the odds of two guys, an ocean apart, playing the same obscure song at the same time? Anyway, I hope I didn't steal your thunder by posting this. It's karma for all the times Ness beat me to the punch. What made you start learning this song at this particular time?

Craig: Thanks, pal. It took some doing to find a song I could massage into a key that would accommodate my vocal range, so when I find one, it's always good news. I have a hard time believing you have any timing problems with slides and hammers; you are, after all, the guy who posted Classical Gas. By the way, Taylor is having their annual Friends & Family sale on Dec. 15 at the factory. If I lived where you live, I'd be all over that.

Daryl: I really appreciate it. I just bought a new mic, an MXL-920 and wanted to try it out. It's just off camera. I'm running it (and my guitar) through a Roland AC-60 amp, and my iPad with an iRig mic is picking up whatever's in the air. I had all kinds of feedback problems until I noticed that my amp has some feedback control on it. I added some reverb to my voice and chorus to the guitar. And I agree: this really sounds like a Moodies song. I'm at least pleased that my performance didn't obscure that fact.

Syndes: So nice to hear from someone I'm unfamiliar with and someone who's new to the site. Thank you for your very nice comment.

michelew

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Another very cool performance Den.

I don't know this song at all. I'm not sure I've ever heard it, but I really enjoyed your take on it.

I had shivers, goosebumps when you started out. The chorus effect (?) sounded cool. For something that you described to me as a campfire song, you sure know how to fill it out, make it interesting and shake it up.

I love your singing as always too.

I'll be listening more.

Very moody.

Love

Shel

tombo1230

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Great job Dennis, I don't know this song but enjoyed your performance of it. Some nice technical touches with the slides, hammer ons and the harmonic at the end. You also looked very much at ease and were enjoying it yourself, which is what it's all about. B) :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic