Busking Moody Blues

suziko

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Dennis, you old softie!! What a sweet song! I really like the sound of that alternate tuning, and of course your guitar sounds great. I think you sang this really well, too. You sound very comfortable and confident.

You always post such unexpected songs, and this is yet another one! I really enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for introducing me to this beautiful, and obscure, Moodies song!

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Ah Dennis, indeed, why this song?

Its always a reality check for me to hear that most people don't know these fabulous Moody Blues songs that I have loved for almost 40 years now. I listen to this song and many more every week at least since I first heard them way back in my student days. This one is from Threshold of a Dream album which has so many great songs on it filled out with Mike Pinder's Melotron and Justin Hayward's voice. I don't mind at all that you put this up before I got a chance to... anything to bring these great songs to TG folks, I'm just completely chuffed that I someone else has such an appreciation of these songs and is sharing them, spreading the love of the MBs. And their music is full of love!

So I've been playing this and working on it for the past month or so. After I listened to your post I picked up my 12 string which was right next to me in open G tuning as I'd just been playing Never Comes The Day over and over for half an hour. So I whipped out my iPhone and recorded my modest reply which I will post later tomorrow. Your picking has taken more hard work than my strumming and the microphone and set-up you used is excellent so I can't match that either and the feel you put into it was spot on... but I wanted to give you a spontaneous and raw reply.

So what made me go for this particular song... I guess it was the open tuning and finding someone showing how its played on YT which triggered it and the fact that, to me, its such a familiar tune.

Your video is even better 3rd time... ;-)

tovo

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 am

Just great Den. You are very humble in the way you approach guitar. You have a lot of experience and make it look very simple. I know (or suspect) that you would claim that this isn't a difficult piece to play, and it sure isn't for you. What I always take from your videos is how relaxed you are (or appear to be). Even if a piece is being played technically well, if the player looks tense and a picture of concentration (usually desperately trying to avoid errors like I always am) then it is very difficult to enjoy. You have the performance thing down. You are relaxed and comfortable, therefore so am I as I watch. I really liked this, it had me really enjoying it the entire way through. The custom Taylor sounds awesome, particularly in your hands. Great stuff mate. You always pick something obscure and I so look forward to your videos as they never disappoint.

willem

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 am

Wow Dennis,great performing,,till that last harmonic I enjoy it,,wow what great guitar playing you did there and the singin of course..

I sure heard that song waaaaaaaaaaaaay back...

Willem

PS If you ever will tryout a digital recorder I think you will be very pleased,,,just a 2 cent for making the sound even better then it was,,

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:06 pm

My reply to Dennis' Never Comes The Day upload.

As I had my 12 string in open G tuning by my side after having put it there a half hour before Dennis posted his lovely video on the very same song... put my iphone on an adjacent chair, picked up my guitar and played as good as I could. Not polished yet and I make several slips changing chords and I have to concentrate on the slides so much I almost can't sing the words at the same time but its getting better all the time. This was loads of fun and I have to thank Dennis for an infusion of energy at a time when my batteries have been way flat!

dennisg

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Michele: I get the shivers, too, when I watch my video -- but probably for a different reason. Yeah, I get the sense that most people don't know this song, but that's okay. Once you get into open-G tuning, this is an extremely easy song to play (well, with the exception of two chords that take a little practice). As always, thanks for your sweet post.

Tom: Thanks so much. I did put a bit of work into the song to flesh it out somewhat. By the way, people often comment on how relaxed I look. I tend to look that way no matter what's going on inside of me. I should be a poker player.

Suzi: Calling someone an old softie takes on additional and unfortunate meaning when the recipient of the comment is in his sixties. But I know you meant well. I really appreciate your sweet comments and I'm glad I could bring a new song to you. The Moodies have a lot of gems aside from Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin.

Chris: Thanks for the background on how this song came to you. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Tony: So nice of you to say. Just so you know, I have my moments of acute nervousness, and at times like those, I may be one of the worst guitarists around. But as I mentioned above, I tend to look relaxed even when the worms are eating my intestines. Believe me, it's nothing I ever cultivated. I'm really glad you liked this and some of my other videos.

Willem: Thank you so much for your very nice comment. I had a couple of glitches in the song, and sped up on the chorus, but all in all I'm satisfied with the video. About a year ago, I bought a digital recorder, but just can't bring myself to use it -- mostly because I don't want to hassle with the editing and synching of the audio to the video.

daryl

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Nice Chris. The 12-string sounded great. Now it's time for you and Dennis to collaborate on the song. That would be killer I bet. Thanks for the upload!

tovo

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

daryl wrote:
Nice Chris. The 12-string sounded great. Now it's time for you and Dennis to collaborate on the song. That would be killer I bet. Thanks for the upload!
I concur Daryl. I suspect these 2 voices would combine rather well.

dennisg

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Way to go, Chris! Your guitar playing is very Justin Haywardish ... and your voice is perfect for this song. Thanks for the shout-out at the end. I'm far more objective watching your version than I am watching mine, and I'm reminded how really sweet this song is.

BobR

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi Dennis / Chris

Very nicely done by both of you guys playing and singing. As Daryl suggests it would be cool to see a collaboration.

Thanks for sharing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic