Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:53 am

BRAVO!!! Bill.
Really enjoyed watching.
Kevin

michelew

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Hi,
I've been playing since college. I don't want to give away how long that is, except to say my first guitar song was House of The Rising Sun by the Animals. Most of my music is from the late 60's and early 70's. In my opinion, some of the best popular music of all time. James Taylor has been an idol of mine since his beginnings. I just wish I could play and sing at his level. I played in coffee houses while in college and had a female vocalist as a partner. Unfortunately we lost her a couple of years ago. Neil Hogan is a great fit as a teacher for me, because he likes much of the same music I do. Now, how about you. What music do you like/play?

Regards, Bill
Bill,

I'll assume you were asking me this question since it came after my question to you.

I looked it up and the Animals version of House of the Rising Sun came out before I was born, :) so if you played it when it was first released then you've been playing for a looong time indeed.

I listen to a heap of different stuff but there are a lot of singer/song writers in the list; favourites include Eva Cassidy, Jason Mraz, Sarah Jarosz, Sara Barrilles, Sarah McLachlan, Adele, Nick Drake. I mostly play fingerpicking stuff.

I find that Neil and Vanessa are a great team of teachers for me. I've been studying under Neil since late 2009 and really improving my skills. And for the last couple of years I've been sucked in by all of the great lessons Vanessa has posted. She complements Neil fantastically, has a great way of breaking songs down and her choices align with my tastes even better. They're a GREAT team. We're very lucky to have them.

I hope you continue to enjoy the site. See you around.

Michele

wrsomers

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks for the reply Michele,
1964 was a long time ago. I didn't try to do that song until 3 years later.I always loved it and I think it was the inspiration for learning to play. I played trumpet in high school but switched to the guitar in college because solo trumpet wasn't something people would listen to, plus it's kind of hard to sing along with :-). I love listening to Jason Mraz, Eva Cassidy, and Sarah McLaclan but their range is a lot out of mine (I would love to add I'm Yours to my repertoire but I can't hit many of the notes) . I'm not familiar with the others.

I'll be posting more songs. I am not happy with the way Kathy's Song and Something Fine came out. The singing is quite pitchy and the guitar bass too heavy. I guess I should have done a few more takes before putting them up.

Bill

jimcjimc

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:51 pm

While watching the preview for the latest fly on the wall, I noticed a passing reference to Desolation Row. So, of course, I was motivated to give it a try :)

I haven't learned the lyrics yet, so I had to wear glasses.... no harmonica part - I will need to get an E harmonica ... shot on an iphone .., strumming with just one finger ... and over 7 minutes long - Sorry

Lavallee

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:56 pm

Good to see you playing and having fun Jim. Never saw you wearing glass before, makes you an intellectual Dylan. Keep em coming

Marc

willem

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Jim I like your singin on this one,, keep the glasses, grow a bit a beard, buy a harmonica and never visit the Netherlands so quick again,stay a bit longer

B)

jayswett

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Loved it, Jim. I do enjoy your Dylan videos.

jimcjimc

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Marc - Thanks! I did have a lot of fun with this one. I have since just about memorized all of the lyrics. There is not a real narrative or logic to them - hard to memorize - thus the reading glasses to be able to read them.

Willem - I really enjoyed my few days in amsterdam - will try to stay longer next time and look some people up. Glad you liked the singing. I tried to sing with confidence. I hope I didn't sound like alley cats :)

Jay - Thanks!

michelew

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
While watching the preview for the latest fly on the wall, I noticed a passing reference to Desolation Row. So, of course, I was motivated to give it a try :)

I haven't learned the lyrics yet, so I had to wear glasses.... no harmonica part - I will need to get an E harmonica ... shot on an iphone .., strumming with just one finger ... and over 7 minutes long - Sorry

Sorry to be late to the party Jim.

Good to see you back. And I'm SHOCKED :P that you're here playing a Dylan song. How unusual! They really suit you.

Have you considered learning the harmonica? It looks like a lot of fun. And it is an essential ingredient to the Dylan recipe. All you need it a rack, oh...an a harmonica. :)

Nice one Jim.

Shel

jimcjimc

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi Shel,

I love your time zone zombies videos, by the way!

What are trying to do to me here? I recorded this video really quickly on an iphone as a joke after Neil mentioned Desolation Row as an example of a song that doesn't require any singing skills (or something to that effect)

I was glad to see if be off the main page and now you had to bring it back to the fore.

:) Thanks

I do actually have one of those harmonica rack thingies and I do have a G and a C harmonica (And I think I did a Dylan song on here with a harmonica once )

I actually really like this Dylan song - Desolation Row - and have been playing it every time I pick up the guitar. I will eventually get an E harmonica and re-do this song with the harmonica solos!

So, be careful what you ask for.

Keep playing and posting - I hope we can meet up again some day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic