Busking bob dylan

michelew

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:41 am

JIm,

Well I definitley look forward to that. :) and thanks!

Keep strumming.

M

jimcjimc

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Related to the thread on barre chords, I guess this is as much a work in progress as a busking video....

Working on Lay, Lady, Lay ....

daryl

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:11 am

Hey Jim, Definitely a work in progress. But that's OK. I have to say your strumming is great. Your arm and hand are nice and loose and you kept the rhythm going well. Your fretting hand however needs lots of work. But that's OK too. All those barre chords is quite challenging. Here's a suggestion for you to try.....

Go down to the 1st position, lay your 1st finger on the nut (pretend your 1st finger IS the nut) and practice going between an E chord and an Am chord. But focus on laying all 3 fingers of the chord down as a "single unit". And since the E chord and Am chord have the same "pattern" (just on different strings) pickup all 3 fingers as a "single unit" as well and move them over one string as a "single unit" to the next chord. Does that make sense? You can even practice that sort of movement without a guitar. That is, pretend to finger the Am chord with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers and then pretend to move them to the E chord. You should notice that the pattern stays the same but that your 3 fingers simply extend/reach out just a bit. And then pretend to go back to the Am chord and you'll notice that the 3 fingers simply retract just a tad. But remember to keep the chord shape "pattern" at all times.

I realize that Neil talks about laying one finger down at a time when forming chords. But in this case, with the song's strumming pattern you need to have the chord "formed" much faster. Good luck and keep practicing.

fjeanmur

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:12 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
Related to the thread on barre chords, I guess this is as much a work in progress as a busking video....

Working on Lay, Lady, Lay ....

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing what you're working on. I think it would be great if you could move your post and Daryl's to the barre chord thread. I think both posts show the challenges and a possible solution to this difficult skill. I think both your video and Daryl's reply can be very helpful to other members, but I'm afraid they will get lost on this thread.

Otherwise a great effort on a really good barre chord song. I find myself going back to this one frequently. It's great practice. I would agree with Darly that with each change, there's too much movement in what are basically already formed chords. Give his suggestion a try.

TGNesh

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Many thanks for sharing your efforts here Jim! As a teacher, it's always good to see what and how a student is working on something.

You've got some great advice from Daryl!

I hope you'll try it out. In any case, the way you're doing it now, first the bar (that's good) and then the middle finger (and the other fingers come in later). Please stop that immediately! I mean really immediately, don't ever do it again. It is already engrained in your fingers and it happens automatically. That means you have to put in some major extra work to get that out. The fastest way is. also the most boring, (which is why so many musicians don't have the patience for it), but SO worthwhile and effective, is to do as Daryl said:

Work on fretting with your fingers as a single unit. (laying down your index over the nut) Do it as slow and controlled as you can. I mean REALLY EXTREMELY slow. Wait if one of the fingers is late. The others need to WAIT until all of them are all set to actually squeeze the strings. Do this without using the strumming hand or worrying about timing (no tempo practice). Focus entirely on the fretting and getting your fingers in position and squeezing a the same time (squeezing drills). And by all means, try to do this as relaxed as possible too. Mind your shoulder, arm and avoid any tension there, because it will directly effect your fingers.

Once you can get those fingers to work as a unit, try an actual full barre chord. Put down the bar first, then the fingers as a unit. Once that works, try to put all fingers down at the same time and squeeze at the same time. Stay focussed!

Please try it out! Have the patience and dedicate a few minutes, several times a day for at least a week (or more if needed) and you'll get a new habit down which will serve you a life time. :)

Ness

Ps. Yes, Neil does point out to fret chords laying down one finger at the time (I do too), in the order that you need them, but I do believe he means that it would in particular apply for fingerpicking, or when you pick out the bass notes first. In other words, when you have the time to do so. When strumming you often need to fret a chord with all fingers at the same time.

jimcjimc

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks, Daryl, Jean, and Vanessa for the comments!

Vanessa - this is actually the improved after version where my pinky and ring finger are working together as a unit :cheer: They used to all be separate motions.

dekotaj

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey Jim.
I remember when I was working on barr chords. What a pain in the ( wrist and hand ). I wasn't sure I would ever get the hang of playing them. In fact I still try and cheat them when ever I can. Best of luck to you sir. All think come with hard work and time.

Thanks for sharing
Kev

TGNesh

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Awesome, that means that you can make it happen for all fingers! :cheer:

Next step, make your middle finger WAIT!! It's acting too dominantly. :P

B)

jimcjimc wrote:
Thanks, Daryl, Jean, and Vanessa for the comments!

Vanessa - this is actually the improved after version where my pinky and ring finger are working together as a unit :cheer: They used to all be separate motions.

michelew

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Hey Jim it's good to see you posting something you're working on.

You've been given great advice. Vanessa gave me similar advice when I posted a progress video of Lovesong. I found it a little excruciating at first to make my dominant fingers wait for the weaker ones, but the effort absolutely paid dividends the more I practiced and applied the approach. Actually your post and Nessa's response is a great reminder that I should practice this way again as I've slipped back a little.

Thanks for posting, it's good to see you progressing and advice of this sort From Vanessa (and Neil of course) is great for everyone.

As Jean said, I strongly suggest you post your next upload in a new thread. New additions to the busking threads can get lost and progress videos, and videos where you're specifically seeking advice about your playing, are really important; they need to be more visible.

Thanks again and a big hello!

Shel

fjeanmur

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:33 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Many thanks for sharing your efforts here Jim! As a teacher, it's always good to see what and how a student is working on something.

You've got some great advice from Daryl!

I hope you'll try it out. In any case, the way you're doing it now, first the bar (that's good) and then the middle finger (and the other fingers come in later). Please stop that immediately! I mean really immediately, don't ever do it again. It is already engrained in your fingers and it happens automatically. That means you have to put in some major extra work to get that out. The fastest way is. also the most boring, (which is why so many musicians don't have the patience for it), but SO worthwhile and effective, is to do as Daryl said:

Work on fretting with your fingers as a single unit. (laying down your index over the nut) Do it as slow and controlled as you can. I mean REALLY EXTREMELY slow. Wait if one of the fingers is late. The others need to WAIT until all of them are all set to actually squeeze the strings. Do this without using the strumming hand or worrying about timing (no tempo practice). Focus entirely on the fretting and getting your fingers in position and squeezing a the same time (squeezing drills). And by all means, try to do this as relaxed as possible too. Mind your shoulder, arm and avoid any tension there, because it will directly effect your fingers.

Once you can get those fingers to work as a unit, try an actual full barre chord. Put down the bar first, then the fingers as a unit. Once that works, try to put all fingers down at the same time and squeeze at the same time. Stay focussed!

Please try it out! Have the patience and dedicate a few minutes, several times a day for at least a week (or more if needed) and you'll get a new habit down which will serve you a life time. :)

Ness

Ps. Yes, Neil does point out to fret chords laying down one finger at the time (I do too), in the order that you need them, but I do believe he means that it would in particular apply for fingerpicking, or when you pick out the bass notes first. In other words, when you have the time to do so. When strumming you often need to fret a chord with all fingers at the same time.
Vanessa,

This is such a helpful response! Could you also move it to the barre chord thread with Jim's and Wiley's so it doesn't get lost?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic