Busking Bruce Springsteen

rapsidy

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

Nice nesh

i like sad songs too if that helps :)

lol yes you tube has a lot to answer for :blink:

reiver

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 pm

After a brief sojourn into the world of happy songs I thought I'd return to safer (or at least more familiar) ground here.

This is the title track from Springsteen's 1982 album. It is a first person narrative based on the story of 19 year old Charles Starkweather who - along with his 14 year old girl friend Caril Ann Fugate - murdered 11 people in the late 50s, events which also inspired the movie Badlands.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

ffsooo3

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Honest to goodness street busking! I think you're the 1st TGer to do it. Way to go! Was there a big crowd? I didn't see you open guitar case. Great playing and singing. Looking forward to many many more from you. I wonder where you will busk next. ;-)

michelew

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Stuart,

Very moving. You definitely win the award for the saddest song of the week.

Beautifully played, nice harmonica accompaniment, very Boss singing, another magic setting and perfect hang dog expression.

Sad, sad, sad.

Now I'll just go and jump off something......

Michele

snipe

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Stuart,

Man, that was really good!! you even sound like him. Really nice work. There is something about the harp, it gives it a certain simplicty that kinda binds it all together (if that makes any sense). Id like to know also was anyone around when you shot that?

Mike

MarkM

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Stuart,

I loved every second of this. You are correct in that it takes a certain mood to sit down and listen to Nebraska. Great of you to show a side of Bruce here that not many folks know about. Outstanding!!!!! I got a harmonica for Christmas but haven't done much with it yet. I think you just gave me a gentle push to do so with your performance. Thank you for sharing this with us.

MarkM

suziko

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Stu,

Well, I'd sure throw a dollar in your case! Or, rather, make it a pound. :) I love this song so much. It reminds me of a Steinbeck short story. I also like the arrangement (both the original and yours) which is so spare and unadorned. It really suits the nature of the song.

As for your performance, well, you always do a nice job fingerpicking, and I liked the little chord solo you put in the middle of the song. Your voice works great for this song and the harmonica was sweet. By the way, is that a new harmonica stand you've got? It looks really good on you! :)

Your videos are always a treat for me, and I'm glad t see that our collaboration didn't consume ALL of your time!

Suzi

willem

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Stuart,,can i say it was fun??? it is a really sad,sad song,,even the prison shop brought nothing,,,but i really, really enjoyed all of it.. the pickin,,singin,,harp,,magic setting,,love the background,,maybe i'm in a sad mood,,,thanks man..

reiver

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

WOW Stuart!

Well yeah...I've been só curious with what you would come up with! ;)

And yep, this is a sad song alright, different though, it's more dark....but mán, you pulled it off so greatly, you really told the story and I could hear the Boss sing it, your voice suits this song very very well and you have inspired me to give the harmonica a try, you already kinda did in June Hymn, but now I'm really off to get me one, só awesome how you can play it and the guitar at the same time, really really cool! :cheer:

LOVED IT!

Ness

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Stuart,

That was my favourite upload from you yet. Topic aside- you nailed it!
Your relaxed playing (both guitar and harmonica).. Your boss-like singing (much different than your Johnny Cash phase B)

Just great from start to finish.

(and I liked the special effects too ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic