Busking Bruce Springsteen

lueders

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Stu-Man! Gettin' kinda dark on us. I like it! Great job this was really, really cool. I love this song.( In my opinion this might be Springsteen's best tune...right up there with: The River, Stolen Car (The one from Copland) and the two songs with fire in the title.) I like your vocals better than Bruce's. I agree with Suzi...the arrangement was bare bones and quite effective. (nice work)

Here's a great example of the arrangement being a relatively simple, yet effective vehicle to convey the lyrics and vocals. Awesome...I wanna see more!

Cori

Craig

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Stuart,
I really liked that. I thought you did a great job all the way around. Thanks for sharing,
Craig

reiver

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 pm

I was slightly worried that I may have used up everyone's goodwill already this week - so thanks to all who have watched and commented.

ffsooo3 - Ha! Truly, the world is my oyster. Glad you enjoyed it!

Michele - I could change the arrangement or the setting but the hang dog expression just won't leave! I guess I have to choose songs accordingly. Glad you liked it and hope you had a soft landing.

Mike - Glad you liked it - I thought of playing it without the harp (as it was giving me some trouble on the high notes!) but you can't really have a prison song and no harp, can you? No, it was very, very quiet when I played. As quiet as my front room, in fact!

Mark - well, if I've given you a nudge towards trying the harmonica then I consider this to have been worthwhile. Really glad you enjoyed it.

Suzi - It IS a new harmonica stand! You didn't think it made my neck look fat? And if you feel strongly about that pound you could always post it! I'm glad you enjoyed the arrangement - and thanks, as always, for the kind word on my performance. You're a pal.

Willem - well, not all songs are fun, are they? But that shouldn't make them any less enjoyable - sometimes it's nice to be made to think too. I'm glad that, through the sad subject matter, you managed to enjoy it. Thank you!

Ness - Another convert to the harmonica. Great! I'm really looking forward to hearing how both you and Mark get on with it. It's a lot of fun - and you can even jam with yourself! I'm very glad that you enjoyed it. You and Tony have set the bar pretty high on this thread and I didn't want to be the one to lower it! Thanks for the kind words.

Al - Thanks very much. In truth, it's not a difficult song to play (basic I - IV - V) but it's more about mood setting than playing. Really glad you enjoyed it.

Cori - Yes, this is definitely a dark song. I guess my tendency is to underplay these songs find the minimum arrangement, and that may be something I should look at in future. I'll certainly give it some thought. But I'm glad you liked it and thanks for taking the time to watch and comment.

Craig - Thank you! Really glad you liked it.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Stuart, good thing you made this song enjoyable by adding rhythm and speeding it up a bit.
I find the original version is a bleak desert of a tune, hard to bear, cooks the skin right off of the listener (ouch!).
Your version made me feel like I was sitting in a bit of shade, watching the pretty but sad train choo-choo by, and so I decided to drink lemonade instead of hemlock.

This performance has character ... very convincing, cast your ballots for Mr. American Midwest here !

Pierre

Lavallee

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Stuart, you have such a great voice. You are able to give that sadness feeling with the right intonations. I have never really played harmonica (besides Happy birthday) and it must be pretty challenging to land on the right note while playing.

Very very nice video

Marc

reiver

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Pierre - I understand what you mean about this song and I have to think that this was the intention. You certainly couldn't call the song celebratory. It gives me some of the same reactions as it does you - I guess i just enjoy those feeling s more than you do! But I'm glad you enjoyed my version. Thanks for watching.

Marc - Well I certainly don't consider my voice great - and I've never subjected anyone to it before joining TG. I don't know what you lot did to deserve that! Hitting the right note can be tricky - as you can tell by my effort on the middle section. Glad you enjoyed the video, Marc - thanks very much for the kind words.

buddy

Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:28 am

Stuart, This was really wonderful. I love the harmonica that you added and the video effects are really super.

Bud

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 am

Hey Stuart, 2 in a week, it's a treat! Great job on channelling the Boss. excellent video and so well played and sung. I had to shoot myself after listening to it but it was worth it ;) . You have great style for story telling songs and I'm loving your green-screen, that's a great idea for these threads. Hearty congrats laddie!

reiver

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Buddy - Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it

Chris - Thanks for the kind words. The video effects are fun, but I'll try no to overdo them!

dennisg

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Absolutely chilling, Stu. Your phrasing was perfect on what is one of the more difficult-to-phrase Springsteen songs, and the timbre of your voice is so much like his.

Congratulations on a terrific job on a song about an episode that's all too common in America. If you were really busking, I'd fill your guitar case with money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic