Busking Bruce Springsteen

tovo

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Jay thanks for such a positive comment. I'm thrilled that you played along with it.

Kevin thanks. It's actually quite a compliment that you aren't such a Springsteen fan but enjoyed the version. Thank you.

Thanks Mike. I was saying to a friend last week that this guitar is keeping me satisfied and not looking at others. Must be love. The Koa just gets better, I am so looking forward to the guitar aging and the tones getting even richer. Thanks for your supportive comment.

dennisg

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:22 pm

tovo wrote:
Aside from the fact that I've always loved this song, what makes this video so enjoyable to me is knowing how far the journey has been for you to get to this point. Tony, I've never seen your strumming look so controlled and smooth -- it's just a pleasure to see. Congratulations!

Not to embarrass you, but now that you're strumming the way you are, you might want to go back and revisit Norwegian Wood, the bane of your existence. You don't even have to post a video. But it would probably be good for you to know that you can finally manage the song.

tovo

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks Den for a thoughtful comment. I do revisit NW quite often and feel far more comfortable with it. I'm like a kid in a candy store right now, it's great. Just exploring and enjoying this wonderful instrument. I often sit and think, "wow...I can play guitar". What I REALLY love is that the journey is never ending. Always something to learn.

Thanks buddy.

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Great all round, Tony! Really liked the strumming-- silky smoooooth.
I should also mention that this song is really perfect for your voice. In your zone, so to speak.

Thanks for posting and starting this thread.

tovo

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey Al, thanks buddy. Yeah I felt comfortable with this tune. As we have discussed before my "zone" is only a small one! :)

Thanks for the encouraging remarks. Much appreciated.

rapsidy

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Tony very cool my friend very cool B) B)

Im a bit partial to the boss me self.. secret garden would be another gooden to try???

singing/playing it all sounds together you have a good package now... If people ask .do you play guitar, what is your response :) when do you become a guitarist??? lol its sort of like martial arts etc... when do you become a mA when you get a black belt... I know its a daft question but one you always feel uncomfortable answering when people ask.. You are there but i was wondering how you answer do you still feel awkward :)

anyhow back to reality, you did a really good job there and it sounded mighty fine, have you put together a tovo's greatest hits yet?? I did and named it my NOT so greatest hits and gave it to my friend who got me started on the guitar as a 2 year anniversary progress report... poor soul :P

keep them coming,

i also went to looked at your f&son vid that neil reviewed but it wasnt working :(

tovo

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey Brad. Thanks mate.

What do I say if people ask if I can play guitar? I tell them I am somewhere between Clapton and Beck..... Actually, I just say yes I play.

It's a hard one (It would probably make a good thread). Of course we all play, some better than others. I don't worry too much about labels, for example the beginner/intermediate/advanced stuff. Who the hell cares? There's no test.

Some stuff I feel I play well, other stuff not so good. My theory is quite crap but I enjoy playing and trying to sing. That's all I need.

When I played a lot of sport I was a madman. Always tense and demanding of myself. Guitar is not like that for me. If I learn something and can play it OK I'm happy as a pig in mud. I will continue to try and improve, continue to challenge myself, continue to enjoy myself. That's enough for me.

Now I'm going to check out your Father and Son video.

Peace mate.

michelew

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm

rapsidy wrote:
singing/playing it all sounds together you have a good package now... If people ask .do you play guitar, what is your response :) when do you become a guitarist??? lol its sort of like martial arts etc... when do you become a mA when you get a black belt... I know its a daft question but one you always feel uncomfortable answering when people ask.. You are there but i was wondering how you answer do you still feel awkward :)
Brad - this WOULD make a great thread. I think you should start it. I was tempted to myself this morning as I was thinking about this very thing on the weekend.

Michele

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm

tovo wrote:
my "zone" is only a small one! :)

You underestimate your new found abilities mate, I'm no huge Boss fan but that was fantastic, your strumming has come along in leaps and bounds and as has been said the song was a great fit for you. Have you ever looked back to your beginnings on TG, do that and take a look at how large your zone has become.

Really enjoy your posts Tony

tovo

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Very sincerely Chas, thank you mate. Every bit of improvement I have made I owe to people here so the community means a hell of a lot to me.

My intent isn't false modesty. I am thrilled with my improvement but I know it's a never ending journey which is exactly what I love about guitar. I sure do see a lot of improvement from my early efforts. Maybe one day I'll even stop sticking my fingers in my ears and humming whenever Neil says "theory"!

Glad you liked the video Chas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic