Hi tony
Sorry late to see this, but glad I did
So cool, love your easy attitude
You got style my friend
Polished as ever

RicksPick

tovo

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey Rick that's very generous of you. Thanks for the comment and it's been too long between drinks for you mate, look forward to your next video.

tovo

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am

Just wanna join Tony on this one and to put The Boss on the TG-map again! ;)

This is 'Downbound Train' and it's on the Born in the USA album wich I've purchased when I was maybe 12 years old and it has always been my favorite ever since, although I've never played it before (actually no idea why :dry: )...it's a very sad song again, it has some heavy lyricss....sorry I'm a sucker for sad songs!

Anyway, I know that at least Tony, Suzi and Stuart are Springsteen-fans, so I hope you guys and gal will enjoy it!

Cheers

Ness

(Oh gosh, youtube doesn't always use the most charming picture for the upload...pffff... :S .)

Lavallee

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Vanessa, great work again. I really like that quick strumming you are doing throughout the song, it is is not easy to do to get back in time with the regular strumming. I am going to work on this,using your video as a guide.

Marc

reiver

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 am

Hey Vanessa

Was hoping you'd get around to posting this!

Like I've said, this has always been a favourite of mine and your version is well up to the standards of playing and singing that we've come to expect from you.

Great addition to the thread.

Stuart

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 am

Vanessa ... Yup ! this is a lesson in itself, since the guitar and hands and smile are all very easy to see.

I'lll be watching this one for some time to come, I think. Thanks !

Pierre

lueders

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 pm

That was BOSS! Tony! (Boom-chick! womp, womp- wa.) oouch! that was bad pun. sorry.

Great job. Quite enjoyable!

I will say, think Marc is onto something with his suggestion...about the fingerings. That is the kind of thing it is going to carry over and help in other tunes.

Strumming was nice and consistent. Like everybody else, I l really liked your voice on this song. It was good time all the way through...

Trivia: In 1994, Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia" won the Oscar for best new song. He beat out who for the honors? What song?

suziko

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Vanessa,

What a great version of this song! Love your singing, love your playing, love the emotion you put into it! This is a song that I'd somehow overlooked for the past 25 years, but it's now near the top of my favorite BS songs. Great lyrics.

I have to say, I also love how your accent comes through ever so softly in your singing. It's really endearing :)

Suzi

lueders

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Jumpin' Jeshosaphat!, That was sweet as German Chocolate Cake, Vanessa!
If you picked that up by ear, without the aid of tabs I'm gonna go Pete Townsend on my axe!

I liked your story , this is one of the first real albums I remember owning.
(Same time frame...I must be about your age, I guess.) For me, was a big step up form Twisted Sister "stay
hungary, Weird Al "in 3-D, and I might have had a Survivor cassette before that...but anyways I digress...

Vanessa, frankly I didn't know what a great acoustic song this could be. You showed that. Thanks. Why don't you
post a sloppy video one of these days so us mere mortals don't burn our guitars for firewood. It is darn cold here
this winter.

Random Thought:I was working on "I'm on Fire" not too long ago. Ever play that?
But don't let that get in the way of Tracy Chapman!

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Marc: Thanks for checking it out Marc! I have to say that I'm quite pleased to hear that there is learning-stuff in there, since it really didn't occur to me. The quick strumming, well it's just something that comes out when I don't have a rhythm-back up, so I just tend to do it myself. In this one I even tried to control it, because Springsteen himself doesn't play it like that (then again he has a full band around him, haha!), but here and there I can't help it, it just comes out, am glad you've found it a learning-thing, so thanks again!

Stuart: Great to hear you liked it Stuart! I was counting on you for at least checking it out! And of course I'm also still waiting for yours! ;) Thank you very much, am very glad you enjoyed it!

Pierre:Haha, yep, there are more smiles in here again! :P Like I said to Marc I'm very happy to hear that there is something to learn from it, thanks for taking the time to watch it and great to hear that you will do it again! ;)

Suzi: Hi Suzi! I was counting on you too! What can I say?! Am véry thrilled that you loved it since you're a BS-fan! How in the world could you overlook this one :ohmy: ? Am very happy that this video has brought it near the top of your BS favs! And yep, it's an emotional song alright, the sadness of it has always given me goosebumps....
But....my accent? Haha! My dutch accent? :blush:

Cori: Haha, you make me laugh :laugh:! And blush for that matter :blush: you're so sweet....thank you very much! Well I did hesitate about using the electric guitar instead, but doing that made the song scream for móre instruments (wich I even considered, but have no idea about mulittracking) so I decided to settle for the acoustic version, so I'm very glad that you enjoyed that! And yes, I did listen to and watched some live-performances first and this was what I could come up with, at least it kinda sounds like it, haha! (btw...I was born in 1972, you?)
I'm on fire, well there is such a steady drum in there...so nope never tried it, but yóu have, so can we expect another Springsteen-tune in here? :cheer:

Your Tracy Chapman request díd make me youtube a lot of her tunes fridayevening (you referring to that made me laugh big time as well :lol: !), I have to admit though, I like her songs when shé sings them! But....who knows..I might suprise you all of a sudden! ;) Thanks again Cori!

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic