Busking Chet Atkins

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Craig - Thank you. You're comments are always appreciated.

Dennis - Perfect? Absolutely? Nope. But thank you! Anything I can't play? Yes, all the songs I don't post!

Suzi - Thank you. I don't know if Chet is "famous" for his version of this song but he did play it. I figured it was a good idea to start a Busking Chet thread. Didn't you upload a version of this song a while back?

schm040 - Thank you. Have you a "busk" up your sleeve?

Tony - Thank you. Perhaps you could do "I Still Can't Say Goodbye". I think your voice may suit the song.

Chris - Thank you. Unfortunately I don't "do parties". I have a hard enough time playing in front of ONE person!

Willem & Jim - Thank you.

John - Thank you and welcome back! You've been gone WAY TOO LONG! Where are your busking posts????

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm

You're a very very good guitarplayer Daryl, period!

That really was a lovely tune, don't know any of Chet Atkins stuff, but I enjoyed listening to you as usual, thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Ness..

TGMatt

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Sent Neil a message today from the road for Chet's Take 5..and here is the first busking video for the legend and one of my all time hero's

Thx for posting

tacticaltal

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 am

Another attempt at Vincent. Its far from perfect, but perhaps a bit better than the last one I uploaded.

It seems on this one, I'm not getting clear fretting on the barred chords. And, as you will see at the end, the frustration level may be causing some problems too.

Wonder if I should put this song away for awhile? I hate that idea!

Anyhow, more food to chew on :)

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

EDIT: The odd noise at the beginning was the chair! :blush: :dry:

daryl

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 am

Terry, It is definitely getting better. Don't give up and put it away for awhile. As Tommy says.....play a song a million times until your muscle memory sets in and then you can focus on the emotion within the song. Keep at it!

haoli25

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 am

Don't give up, Terry. It WILL come together for you. I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, lose that chair with the armrest. There were a couple of times it seemed that your elbow was battling with it. My second suggestion is to use a guitar strap. Your left hand is supporting the neck at times and that will only slow you down and make your notes less accurate. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill

willem

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 am

Terry,,that was a deep breath at they end,,man,,i say,,you can be proud,,It is better and I am sure your on your way to win the battle...Its always good to give a song some rest(not to long) and play something you can and do it with fun and pleaser,,,

dream it and feel it...

Willem

tacticaltal

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Daryl, Thanks for the encouragement. I've been working this at least 30 minutes a day, and I haven't lost the love yet. I'll keep at it :)

Bill, I never realized those two problems; thanks for mentioning those. I'll have to look around for a better chair. Thanks for having a look.

Willem, That deep breath at the end was frustration - lol

I guess I won't put it away, but I will work with some others with it. I need another guitar so I have one which stays in the alternate tuning for Vincent; it's rough on a lazy guy to keep changing tunings :D

Thanks for your look and listen.

~terry

PS: Does anyone have any advice for the the barred Am? I struggle to get clean notes on the 5th fret.

daryl

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Any excuse for another guitar works for me! Go for it!

In terms of the barred Am: How is the action on your neck? Can you put a quarter (or two) under your E and A strings at the 11th and 12th frets? I keep my action quite low (as I'm not much of a strummer) so I have exactly a quarter's spacing between my frets and the bottom of my strings at the 12 fret. You may want to have a luthier checkout your guitar and maybe do a setup on it......

familyman4

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Hello Terry,

If I may make a suggestion...

Look at Neil's version of this song and take a stab at learning it in standard tuning and like Neil is playing it. I underdstand that there are many, many differant ways to play a song and appreciate being able to figure them out in differant way. However, following along with our TG instructor makes a lot of sense to me.

Good luck...
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic