Busking Finn Brothers

Craig

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey John,
Great post. Your singing and playing are great. Very professional sounding. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.
Craig

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice sound John! I like both Split Ends and Crowded House...saw the later here at a gig about 15 years ago. Love the harmonies. Glad to see you have your living room kitted out like a concert stage ;-).

JHall

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Wow... thanks everyone for the positive and FAST feedback on my video. I posted the video and went off to practice for a bit, came back and BAM! there were all these great comments. The TG community is the best!

jimcjimc - Thanks, I'm a HUGE Crowded House fan! They have a bunch of great guitar songs... I've been itching to start the "Busking Crowded Hosue" thread with "Don't Dream It's Over" but am still working on that falsetto part in the chorus! Neil Finn is such a great vocalist some of his stuff is hard to do proper justice with a cover.

tovo - Thanks, I would love to spend more time going through the forums and helping out where I can. Although I consider myself more of a vocalist who can play a bit of guitar, I will do my best to help out.

Daryl - Thanks bud... I've missed hanging out at TG and it feels good to get back here again. I could spend a whole week just catching up on all the cool stuff posted since December (including your excellent playing)!!! Yes, more videos definitely coming.

Scott (coomba) - Thanks mate... I take it you're an Aussie. :-) Yes, the Finns are responsible for so much great music... the only crime is that not enough people have heard it... or even heard OF them. "Don't Dream It's Over" usually rings a bell for most people but beyond that it's a rare occassion that I meet a fellow "Housie" or "Enz Frenz".

willem - YES "Weather With You" is one of my favorite CH songs and would be a great one to multi-track both rythm and lead guitars and vocal harmonies. I play/sing that one with a buddy of mine... he's a much better guitar player than me and plays lead. I'll have to work on my bar chord transitions... thanks for the constructive feedback.

Michele - I would love to hear you do Finn song! If I had won the CH "Intriguer" lyrics contest we could have met in Sydney and jammed together. Here is the video of the winner (an Aussie) singing her version with the band in Sydney: Intriguer constest winner performance. I think that Neil Finn is one of the most under-appreciated song writers of our time... so many great lyrics and tunes. It's funny because many musicians much more famous than him are great admirers of his work. Thanks, I'll do my best to 'keep them coming'.

jayswett - Thanks buddy... the avatar is the cover of an independent CD project I did a LONG time ago (1995?) when I was living in NYC. Unfortunately, like a few other folks here, I let my guitar collect dust for many years after that project. So, TG has been a great help in getting me back into it after so many years.

TGMatt - Thanks Matt. I couldn't agree with you more... the Finns are just incredible musicians and vocalists. Glad there are a few Finn fans here at TG so my post didn't end up in the "Who the hell is that!" category! :-)

Ness - Thanks, the feeling is mutual... I've really enjoyed your playing/singing and hope to see more of you here as well.

Craig - Thanks for the kind words... looking forward to more playing and listening here.

Chris - I had a feeling you'd be a fan of both bands... you're so widely versed! That's actually my bedroom... but don't tell anybody! :-)

totsyboy

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Like everything you've put up here, that was very well done. Your voice really fits Crowded House/Neil Finn tunes. Could "Distant Sun" be on the horizon? "

JHall

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks totsyboy. I know and love "Distant Sun" so you never know when it might show up here. :-)

John

lueders

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:23 am

Nothing profound here...I'll just state the obvious you have amazing talents!!!

MarkM

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:31 am

John,

Outstanding job once again!!!! I'm wondering what else you may have up your sleave for the next song.

MarkM

dekotaj

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am

BRAVO!! SIR.

Don't know the band,But really enjoyed your song.

Thank you
Kevin

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

John:

Kick ass job on a great song. I have a few CH Cds, but was also unaware of this song. I really enjoyed it. The vocals/effects used were very good! Your playing is freakin' solid as well. I agree with Tony about hoping to see you around the forums more often. Seems as though you would have a lot to share...... B) B)

Again, that was great and I appreciate the share!

Jason

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Great job John. Excellent vocals and your playing is really smooth.

Living in NZ for the last 27 years you can't help but know about the Finn family. We get to see quite a bit of them on NZ TV. Bring on more CH I say, have you heard Neil Finn's son Liam another gifted musician and songwriter.

I reckon your voice would also suit his music.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic