Busking Rolling Stones

sws626

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 am

Mark,

I thought the singing was great -- much better than Mick, in fact, whose faux twang on this song is just annoying. Your left-hand embellishments add just the right amount of interest and you keep that right hand rhythm moving right on track, something I know from experience can be a real challenge when singing. Great job!

-Stuart

wammer

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

Mark great job...I can tell you love to play its shows in your videos

Tammy

haoli25

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Awesome job, Mark. I really enjoyed your performance. Thanks for kicking off "Busking With The Stones" too.

Bill Image

MarkM

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Brad - Thanks!!

Jeff - Thank you. I had to practice by chewing bubble gum and walking while patting my head for a week to try and figure that one out. :laugh: :laugh:

Stuart - Thanks. I wouldn't go that far. You are right in that it takes awhile to get the rythem motor running by itself before I think of singing.

Tammy - Thank you very much. I do love to play I just wish I had more time to give to it.

Bill I must have just missed you. Thank you!!!!!!

MarkM

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 am

This will make your wild horses stampede! I added this to my song list a month or two ago because I saw a video of The Stones doing it acoustically. It was a good demonstration of Keith Richards utilizing Open G tuning. I enjoy exploring alternate tunings, but it can be quite confusing translating and remembering chord shapes compared to standard tuning. When I was a teenager, I knew a little about Dropped D tuning (I did a lot of Neil Young) and my mind was much sharper about absorbing these things. However, the resources available at that time to enlighten me about understanding these things were limited . . . . . plus, I had many other distractions. It was very difficult to make any sense out of alternate tunings. Now it is much different as far as resource availability (think the Internet) . . . . I still have lots of distractions . . . . . and adapting to this type of playing has taken on a whole new meaning.

Most of my life, I have played guitar and never sang. There was always someone around that had a good voice to do that while I concentrated on just playing guitar. While it would be good to sing and play guitar well, I am more interested in the latter. Singing while playing guitar makes a more complete musician (in my book at least). With that in mind, this video makes it obvious to me that I will have a long way to go if I want to get to that point. I feel that my whiney voice is more suited to singing background vocals rather than being in the front.

I'm not very comfortable playing solo, and am more interested in working with a group. If Neil hadn't made a request for more people to post videos, I would have been quite content to sit on the sidelines and watch others post. But, one must pull their weight.

So, how did I select this song for my first post? It was purely by accident. I was originally going to do a Neil Young song, but, shortly before recording this, I broke a string on my preferred guitar for those songs. I grabbed the closest guitar just to set up the video framing and such, and it was the one tuned to Open G. Since this is the only song in Open G that I can fake my way through reasonably well, I started playing it and got a little carried away. Since I didn't feel like changing strings on the other guitar right away, I just kept trying this until I got a compromise between the singing and the playing. Actually, this is a more honest presentation of my learning abilities, because I have only played through it a few dozen times before this. After watching the video, I see many places for improvements, and, by next week, it will be changed around a bit. This is being played straight ahead without much dynamics. With more practice it will become smoother, more accurate, and have more feeling.

Michele's ending on one of her videos was quite funny, and I've included some bloopers at the end just so you know this wasn't a one take thing done too seriously. It was more like a six or seven take thing.

Hydroman52

Rolling Stones - Wild Horses - Open G Tuning

WARNING - I've changed this a bit from the Stones version, and it deviates a bunch from the TG lesson. That is intentional. Not necessarily better, just different. When I sing, I tend to "dumb" the song down and only play the most basic parts so that I can do better on the vocals. I've actually got the lyrics on a stand next to the camera, because after the first line, I forget the rest of the words.

[video][/video]

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 am

Great job! Loved the outtakes!

willem

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:50 am

Hey Hydroman!

Man, I'm impressed, some first post! I loved it, congratulations! I think you did just great, loved your playing and your voice suits this song as well, I réally enjoyed it, well done H.!

So, then the bloopers, hahaha, you got me rolling all over my desk, that was HILARIOUS, to say the least! And so recognizable as well, haha, thank you véry much for the laugh! :laugh: :lol:

willem

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 am

Hydro,,i was freakin and you were freakin good,,man you own that tune,,,really really enjoyed it,,,,mmmmmm it is in G he? loved your outtakes as well

MarkM

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 am

Well I'm grateful that you broke your string on the other guitar!!! This was just fantastic!!! I must learn that tuning and this song in this tuning, looks like you can do so much more with it. Awesome job all around. Your voice fit the song really well. As for the bloopers I just loved them. Been there. It's great when your start talking to the camera and mumbling. Thanks for sharing this video. I look forward to hopefully seeing more from you.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:38 am

Well that was WILD Hydro! What a great first video! That is so cool, you're in danger of going viral on the tube!
Great way to go on that song and well played and sung. Out takes really added extra coolness. Just great!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic