Busking Grateful Dead

ffsooo3

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 pm

Gotta have a Grateful Dead thread. This is a quick campfire attempt of Ripple.

And yes my phantom friend is back. He begged me, "Please give me one more chance!". What could I say?

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Great stuff Daryl and I'm really glad you're letting your local phantom in on the action. He deserves it.

Great job.

Michele

jayswett

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Hard to imagine this is the first Grateful Dead busking thread. Great rendition of this song. Was that you singing?

MarkM

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Daryl,

All I've got to say is SMOOTH....................................

Now that was nice!!! Let the phantom stay.

MarkM

willem

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Let the beggers in he,,well in this great community you can't let him out,,that's one of the roles,,and even more if it is your twin brother,,,and he can win if he listen to some pro buskers.

Can you tell some time a litlle from your strumming(kinda) technicks,, i see much a bass or more and then pluckin or pickin or a down,, i think you mixed up what could be done with a plectrum,,do you follow a tab and then try to mixed it up????

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Good one Daryl, Yup keep the phantom on he's doing a good job. Congrats on first Dead busking tune.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:29 pm

And another kick off! Nice job Daryl I thought your closet phantom did really well this time. Keep feeding him ;-)

ffsooo3

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Michele – Thanks. I still don’t know about this local phantom. I guess I’ll just have to take it day by day.

Jay – I agree. I thought someone would surely post a GD song. There’s got to be one or two deadheads amongst all.

Mark – Thank you. Like I said before, I’m still not too crazy about this singer of mine….I’d much rather have Chris or John with me.

Willem – He is a beggar! And I’m not sure listening to “pro buskers” will ever help him! BTW I don’t follow tabs with most songs. What I play typically just “happens”. I find playing some bass notes (roots and fifths) along with some strumming helps fill out the rhythm of the song (since I play quietly and don’t strum loudly). Sometimes I’ll add a “walk-down” or “walk-up” bass thing if the chord progression and/or melody calls for it. I also don’t really strum when I’m not using a pick. I sort of rake the back of my hand across the strings on a down-stroke and flick the fleshy part of my fingers back-up on an up-stroke. If any of this makes any sense….

Chas – Thanks. Looking forward to some busking from you soon!

Chris – Thanks. Not sure if he’ll stay in the closet or not…..

schm040

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Daryl,

You are so relaxed strumming. Did you record the picked melody and then play over that with the strumming? I like it.

Matt

ffsooo3

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm

schm040 wrote:
Daryl,

You are so relaxed strumming. Did you record the picked melody and then play over that with the strumming? I like it.

Matt
Actually, I recorded the strumming first and then recorded the picked intro over it. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic