Busking Greg Brown

jayswett

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:29 pm

suziko wrote:
Nice job, Jay. I like Greg Brown a lot (especially In The Dark With You), but I didn't know this song. His voice is so much lower than yours, so did you have to change the song to a different key? Or are you singing a full octave higher than him? It sounds to me like you're still singing on-key, even though you sing in a higher range than he usually does. Nice steady picking, too. Sounds like you've got another one for your open-mic night!

Suzi
I didn't change the key for this song. I played it a hundred times with the recording trying to get the vocals where they needed to be, but found in the end I just couldn't get it to sound right. Hence the PIP thing, and even then, it was still not quite right. I guess I am singing a full octave higher, but honestly, I'm not really sure and will have to listen again to the original. I just sang it at whatever seemed reasonably comfortable for me. He has another song called China that I'd like to learn at some point.

The open G tuning also gave me an opportunity to work on Circle Game, which I recall fondly was something you played beautifully last summer.

jayswett

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 pm

schm040 wrote:
Been a Greg Brown fan for a lot of years. I have his album the Poet Game and it is one of my favorites.

Your fingerstyle is clean and solid, very nice.

I have been working on "Brand New Dodge" by GB. It's strumming song, G, EM, C. Would be great for you to post that one too, I can't sing it.

Thanks.

MattMassachusetts
How about you post that one? I will check it out, though.

dennisg

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Just gorgeous playing, Jay. I've never heard of Greg Brown, but I appreciate knowing about him now.

MarkM

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 am

Jay,

As always you did a wonderful job. The picking was spectacular and the singing very nice as well. I'm not familiar with this song but will go and check this one out. You'll have to incorporate this into you set list.

MarkM

rapsidy

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 am

Greg who???

anyhow you did a great job as usual jay, your finger picking is awesome and your singing is fine where all family just take risk with it i say thats how we learn and improve i think.

love to see you strum some songs???

Brad

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:25 am

Not Really a Busking post. I needed a hyperlink to paste and this was the only route available to me. Sorry for the breach in upload etiquette...

Can someone offer some pointers or suggestions on this tune? Greg Brown's Telling Stories 1 Hour, 35 Minutes ago
I am obsessed with this tune and was making progress on it with my demo of Song Surgeon, before my computer decided to freeze up...every five seconds. doh! I thought I would give this a shot...and see if any of the good folks in T.G. land had any ideas. I just can't get a handle on that cool thumpy thing he does. (thum-pick maybe?)
Half the song is still giving me fits. I think it is worth the effort though because I love this song more than lie itself. lol!
Ridiculous, I know...but it is really awesome....
I know what key he is in, most of the chords, and I have figured out a way (what I think) is a passable way to play some of the little turnaround-like licks he does. Anyways, I digress. Thanks for listening and putting up with my obsession... This is a wonderful tune hope you enjoy listening.

Thanks

Cori

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:49 am

Can i offer you a slow it down version??? i can record it and put the speed down(i think,must check that out,but only when you want) and put it up here as a vid like yours,,or send you the mp3,,,if you want tell me the speed you want..

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:04 am

willem wrote:
Can i offer you a slow it down version??? i can record it and put the speed down(i think,must check that out,but only when you want) and put it up here as a vid like yours,,or send you the mp3,,,if you want tell me the speed you want..
YES, Thanks Willem!!! actually I think that would help a lot!! (about 50-60 outta do it on speed anything less than that and it gets kinda hell spawn of Lucifer-sounding. lol!) I'm gonna get song surgeon for real one o these days. But first I gotta do something about this outdated dell computer that is on its last legs I believe...

It will still take a lot of listens, to get it just right though. This tune is more intricate than most of his other tunes I think. Greg is a great economical player that always seems to find a way to accommodate the song so perfectly.

Thanks again for the help, Willem.

b.t.w. This sure isn't super urgent or anything. I can PM you my e-mail if you want or whatever, but no rush. Thanks, man.

willem

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:08 am

lueders wrote:
willem wrote:
YES, Thanks Willem!!! actually I think that would help a lot!! (about 50-60 outta do it on speed anything less than that and it gets kinda hell spawn of Lucifer-sounding. lol!) I'm gonna get song surgeon for real one o these days. But first I gotta do something about this outdated dell computer that is on its last legs I believe...

It will still take a lot of listens, to get it just right though. This tune is more intricate than most of his other tunes I think. Greg is a great economical player that always seems to find a way to accommodate the song so perfectly.

Thanks again for the help, Willem.

b.t.w. This sure isn't super urgent or anything. I can PM you my e-mail if you want or whatever, but no rush. Thanks, man.

Oke when i have time 'cos this is a experiment for my self too and must check things out so that cost some time,,,,(i almost record the whole song and then my recorder say's ''CARD FULL...lol....i must first see what i want to remove.......you will hear..

mbleier

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Jay,
That was great. I have been lucky enough to go see Greg Brown a few times including twice this summer. That has always been one of my favorites of his. You did a very solid rendition. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

ps you place is really nice looking

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic