Busking Greg Brown

suziko

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:13 am

Nice job, Jay. I like Greg Brown a lot (especially In The Dark With You), but I didn't know this song. His voice is so much lower than yours, so did you have to change the song to a different key? Or are you singing a full octave higher than him? It sounds to me like you're still singing on-key, even though you sing in a higher range than he usually does. Nice steady picking, too. Sounds like you've got another one for your open-mic night!

Suzi

ffsooo3

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:25 am

Very smooth playing. I too don't know this song, but your video was VERY enjoyable. Looking forward to more.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Great job on a song I never heard before Jay. I thought you sung and played that really well. The singing was good... I think the phrasing is key here unless you can sing as low as Lueders' billy goat (what the?)! :-)

schm040

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 am

Been a Greg Brown fan for a lot of years. I have his album the Poet Game and it is one of my favorites.

Your fingerstyle is clean and solid, very nice.

I have been working on "Brand New Dodge" by GB. It's strumming song, G, EM, C. Would be great for you to post that one too, I can't sing it.

Thanks.

MattMassachusetts

snipe

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 am

Jay, that was great. Not familiar with GB but am now.

Mike

lueders

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Great job on a song I never heard before Jay. I thought you sung and played that really well. The singing was good... I think the phrasing is key here unless you can sing as low as Lueders' billy goat (what the?)! :-)
Hey Chris. Listen to some of his tunes off the Evening Call" or "Over and Under" and you might think he sounds like a billy goat too. lol. Cori

tovo

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Very nice Jay, great fingerpicking, very very solid! Very nice song as well, thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Ness..

sws626

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 pm

What a treat! I'd never heard this before, but thought you did a fantastic job with it. Your fingerpicking is impeccable, as ever. No mixed results here -- your phrasing of the lyrics seemed a perfect fit.

jayswett

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 pm

JHall wrote:
Jay, I had not heard that one before but really enjoyed it (mark of a good song) and was VERY impressed with your finger picking (i.e. jealous). Did you learn to finger pick here at TG or did you already have the skill before coming here? Now I'm walking around the house singing "hey baby, hey baby, hey baby hey"... it's infectious! Thanks.

John
Everything I know about fingerpicking was learned here on TG. Prior to that, I could strum a few chords, but that was about it. I spend too much time on the fingerpicking and would like to become more proficient with a pick. One of my goals for this year...

jayswett

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

lueders wrote:
Jay!!! Thank you so much for putting up a Greg Brown song. He is my favorite artist (swear to god) and you did an amazing job on it. I'm so glad you're starting this thread. I believe him to be the best kept secret in music. I would give anything to be able to accurately play some of his tunes. Especially...Spring Wind, Telling Stories, Lull it bye , and so may others. He lives in a little town in southeast Iowa close to where my mom is from. I've seen him live a time or two...he is a true original. Anyways, sorry about all the fanaticism for Mr. Brown...back to your performance.

Tough to sing a song of his...what with that low as a billy goat voice of his. I thought you did Greg proud! Did you just sound that out or pick it up from tabs? I think he is in open C for (Let me be your gigolo and Jesus & Elvis)
Are you going to do anymore? Gosh I hope so...
Billy goat is a great descriptor for his voice, and yes, his songs are dififcult to sing. I learned this mostly from tab, which was a victory of sorts for me as I find reading tab time consuming and difficult. Generally speaking, I require videos to learn anything, and in fact, nearly every song I know was learned from video.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic