Busking Brandi Carlile

michelew

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:33 am

Hi everyone,

I don't know how well known Brandi Carlile is or how many of you are likely to play her (and her band's) songs, but I really like her stuff. Here's 'Shadow on the Wall'. It's another sad song, but I love the guitar part. Surprise, yes it's a finger picking song. I can't stay on mission all the time right?

Well it's definitely not perfect. In fact I had to cheat again by doing the guitar part and singing separately, but you'll see that I'm distracted enough doing the guitar part separately (especially at the shocking end). But, this is the best I can do for now in front of the camera. There are some important notes, especially towards the end, that I've forgotten to put in (distracted), compared to the album, but ... you got it ... next time.

Yes, yes...I'm probably getting in trouble for justifying myself instead of just saying 'here it is, I think it's great, I hope you love it', but well that's just not me.

I know one other TG member that's into Brandi Carlile so hopefully we'll see some additional posts in here too.

BTW - this is not a Target song and it's the first non-target song I've posted for a while. But I can say with my hand over my heart that I wouldn't have had a chance of playing this song if I hadn't learned the Target songs I have. I simply wouldn't have had the confidence.

Well, justifications aside, I hope you like it. (Ooops - I just realized that I forgot to put a title on it - yep - distracted)

Thanks for watching.

Michele

Here is Brandi doing a live version.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 am

Hello Michele,,not familair with Brandi,but will check it out,,you really can pick,what would it be nice that you can do the singin and playing together(intime),,oh! yes i liked it...

willem

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:23 am

WAUW! Shel! :ohmy: ..............................you've just blown me away...

You know, you know I like all your videos, but I think this is absolutely the greatest for me! (I never get up so early on sunday, but am I glád I did, think I'm the first one watching this, well with Willem, the dutchies are awake, haha!)

What can I say, I thought your playing was just perfect, all the notes were clean (yes I'm gonna put áll your justifications aside), the swingtime-feel and tempo were spot on and I absolutely lóved your singing. Actually I think you're doing even better hitting higher notes, that was just really réally beautiful (you're not gonna believe me, are you?)

Again, just absolutely LOVED it! Gonna watch some more, that's for sure!

Ness

michelew

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:31 am

Willem - Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. Yes in time I hope to be able to sing it at the same time. It has to become automatic first. Not there yet.

Ness - I'm SO glad you loved it. That means so much to me to have you say that. It's nice to be able to blow you away, to pay back a bit of the pleasure I get from watching your amazing videos. Re: hitting the high notes, I chucked myself in the pool this afternoon and lapped for a while before singing. I'm finding that it helps with the nerves if nothing else and the breathing too I think. I still need those singing lessons (big time). But, there are plans in the pipeline to start those this year. But, while I wasn't completely comfortable watching myself sing, I didn't include a justification or a criticism on it. That's a start right. - Smiling.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 am

Way to go Shel! What a great video, you are really getting the hang of this stuff! Nicely played and sung and well put together. You may have to start paying more for your TG subscription if you keep keep having and giving us so much fun! :-)

haoli25

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 am

BRAVO Shel. Thanks for sharing such beautiful music with the rest of us. Your playing and singing were perfect. I even loved the ending too. :P Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

ffsooo3

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:28 am

You are definitely much more comfortable in front of the camera than you were when you started uploading videos! Great picking. Very smooth.

And don't you just hate it when you think you're gonna make it to the end of the song without error, and as the end of the song nears you get more and more excited/tense, but you're still OK, and then you think great one more chord, the final chord and I'm done, and then oops. Damn! Been there. Done that.

Yamaha48

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:31 am

Hello Michele.

Here is the 3 Dutchie,a little bit later than Willem and Vanessa.
Yeh i love this video.i love it.
Im not famailair with this song.
The first time i here it.
You do a verry good job with it.
I can remember me the first time i meet you here(video).
Now you play and sing the songs,fantastic.
Thumb up Michele.

Musical greetings from Holland.

Anton

reiver

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Michele

I don't see why you should feel like you have to justify not singing and playing at the same time if Brandi Carlile makes no attempt to!

I wasn't familiar with this song - so I listened to the Brandi Carlile version that you posted first to give myself an idea of what to expect. I was struck by that final note in each verse - that's a toughie, but I reckon you nailed it. I also thought that, overall, you sounded to be singing with much more control and confidence - really going for some of those notes and sounding far more like you were enjoying it. I can't believe you're too far away from being able to play and sing this at the same time - it looked to me like (notwithstanding that final chord!) this is well within your playing abilities. Great to see you continue to develop as a guitarist and also as a performer.

Stuart

jayswett

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 am

Wow. That was so nice to see and hear. It looks like a tricky fingerpicknig pattern, yet you nailed it. Just beautiful. I must also say that it has been a pleasure watching you develop as a guitarist over these last two years. That was a great video.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic