Busking Brandi Carlile

suziko

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Wow, I go away for a little while, and what a treat to return to!! I loved this video, Shel. I rank it right up there with Bring on the Wonder for your best performance. I agree with Stuart- your singing has never sounded better. There are some tough notes in this song, but you are really stretching and going for them and it sounds absolutely great. I also really enjoyed the fingerpicking in this song! In fact, I might ask you for some tab at some point, if you've got any handy.

Just beautiful, Michele!

Suzi

p.s. And you're adorable at the end when you hit that wrong chord. I'm SO glad you didn't post a "clean" version!

michelew

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm really touched by how encouraging and supportive you all are. I really couldn't ask for a more wonderful community to be a part of. Posting is so rewarding, it's worth the camera craziness. Thanks!

Chris - Thanks - You're a great role model. I've been following your lead a little (ow, shall we dance). Hopefully one day I'll be able to translate it into playing in front of people IRL. Don't tell Neil that I'm getting great value for money from my subscription; just in case.

Bill - Thanks heaps; "perfect" and you loved the ending. Well you really are too kind, but I'll take it. It is a great song.

Daryl - I do feel more comfortable in front of the camera, but it is still nerve wracking. At least I'm not physically shaking like I used to, well not all the time anyway. I keep forgetting to NOT drink 2 strong coffees before trying to record. Must fix that. You are spot on about the nerves getting worse as you approach the end of a good take. I can't tell you how many times that happened while trying to record this video. One time I thought 'OK that will do no major stuff ups' and I went to look at the video (which was hidden behind some other windows) and found that I hadn't pressed record. No wonder I was more relaxed. It was laugh or cry, so I laughed and left the room. Crazy. It's nice to know that you and others get the nearing the end anxiety too. I guess that will also diminish over time. Thanks.

Anton - I'm glad you love it. Hey Chris will need a new name for the Dutch contingent since he can't call you all Twolips (spelling?) any more; since Vanessa makes 3. Although 'the Dutchies' does seem to be creeping in. You must be due for a new post. Thanks.

Stuart - A big THANKS. Being a lover of sad songs, I imagine you'll find one or two of Brandi's songs compelling. Although, she may speak more to women than men. I actually really like the last note and was landing it successfully the vast majority of the time, I just couldn't believe I screwed it up so badly at the end. Oh well, at least I didn't chuck a wobbly. The singing is like the playing, I'm starting to get over the fact that I don't know that I'm doing yet and as you say I'm trying to just go for it. I could probably sing it very slowly while playing it, but no chance in front of the camera just yet. How's your Boss song coming along?

Jay - As a fellow Brandi Carlile appreciator and finger picker, I'm really glad you liked it. The finger picking pattern was a lot of fun, especially the moving bass. I think you'd enjoy learning it and I'm happy to send you the TAB. It's a bit inaccurate, but good enough to get you started. BTW - I've loved watching your awesome skills develop too, playing and singing.

Marc - Thanks. I'm happy that you liked it. The bass runs were one of my favourite aspects of the song. What can I say, singing taps into my emotional side, especially with a sad song like this. Thanks

Tammy - THANKS - I'm stoked that you loved it. Check out Brandi's stuff, unless getting sad is not on the day's agenda. I think you'll find something in her repertoire that you'll like. I'm glad I made you smile and yes it was a relief to think 'I'm just going to posted it even though I screwed up the landing'. Blackbird does feel like another life and a long time ago - a couple of months shy of 2 years - April 2009. Crazy. Thanks.

Mike - I'm glad you loved it. I hope you enjoy the band's music. Thanks for watching.

Al - Thanks - I love that you get the last note dilemma. You and Helen would do and awesome version of this song. The picking patterns (which change) are really fun, I think you'd like learning it.

Scott - Thanks that's sweet. And yes I do feel more comfortable playing finger picking songs, believe me I didn't grow these crazy girlie nails for nothing. I know that you have the guts to post a song. Believe me once you do it gets easier with each one and it's so rewarding that you'll get the posting bug like us regular posters. Just do it. You won't find a more supportive community that gets what it's all about and how it messes with your nerves and confidence. You'll be great! And of course, chocolate moose is a gift from the Goddess. It's good for the soul and has to be good for guitar playing.

Cori - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope Brandi speaks to you in some fashion. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - time warp! Thanks.

Pierre - THANKS :blush: they are such sweet things to say. I'm glad you liked it.

Craig - Thanks - "excellent" - coolio. I'm wondering what's next for you?

Jim - I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for watching.

Tony - You're the best - 'the clunker was charming" - well that made me smile. I was attracted to this piece because it was a little more intricate than most of the finger picking stuff I've learned. The finger picking stuff it so much fun, if I let myself I'd only play these sort of pieces. Thanks mate!

Suzi - Thanks I LOVE that you loved it and think it was one of my best. Re: the singing thanks and there was really only one direction to go in from timid and cringey; improve little by little. I think you'd REALLY enjoy learning this piece. I'll send you the tab. I found that I actually played it a little differently every time, which was fun too. There are some important notes that are needed, but once you've got a handle on those then you sort of play what you feel like. Well now I'm glad I didn't post a clean version too. You're the sweetest. Thanks.

What a wonderful audience! Thanks

Michele :) :) :)

buddy

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Michele,

It is so moving to see you pour your heart and soul into this song. As usual your finger picking is wonderful even with the little note at the end that does not discount the hundreds of perfect notes before it. Thanks for the posting this you made my day.

Bud

MarkM

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 am

Michele,

Your video and a cup of coffee started my work week off well. I really enjoyed this one. i can't think of another song that you have played better on. I though your picking was outstanding on this. Oh to have those long fingers!!!!! I'm having a very hard time at the moment trying to get my little fingers to play this new song and seeing you with the perfect position is just great. I too loved that little moment at the end. I know exacty what you felt like. Great job on the singing as well. We can't all play and sing these songs together.

MarkM

RicksPick

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 am

Michele Michele

You keep raising that bar with every upload
Loved it

RicksPick

BobR

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Michele,

I thought you did a great job on this. Your finger picking is really something and singing as well. I too enjoyed the little "nuance" at the end.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

dennisg

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm amazed by how well you mastered that unusual picking pattern. It's definitely unlike (and more difficult than) anything I've tried up till now. Also, a huge congratulations on the vocal part. That's a hard song to sing. All in all, another very strong performance from someone who's spoiling us with her strong performances.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Anton - I'm glad you love it. Hey Chris will need a new name for the Dutch contingent since he can't call you all Twolips (spelling?) any more; since Vanessa makes 3. Although 'the Dutchies' does seem to be creeping in. You must be due for a new post. Thanks.
That's a point Shel. 3 lips doesn't work so I was thinking on the lines of Clogs Sextet or anything with Sex in it just to give them some sex-appeal ;-).
Hard to beat Suzi and The Dandshes or the Sheilas!

michelew

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:41 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That's a point Shel. 3 lips doesn't work so I was thinking on the lines of Clogs Sextet or anything with Sex in it just to give them some sex-appeal ;-).

Chris,

Small typo - I think you meant Ban(D)Shes or Bandshes. Clogs Sextet isn't as good as BOOBS either (Breasts Oriented Over Bass Strings), but that goes without saying. Andy - that's BOOBS not boots, the band doesn't have a dress code, and come to think of it I don't have any dresses but I do have boots ...rambling... sorry I got distracted. BTW, I don't think you'll be getting a kiss from Willem anytime soon. But, 'Clogs Sextet'.... it's clever to be sure..., but no very catchy. I think you need something a little shorter.

:P

Shel

Lavallee

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

So whát name are we dutchies getting???? :ohmy:

michelew wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Chris,

Small typo - I think you meant Ban(D)Shes or Bandshes. Clogs Sextet isn't as good as BOOBS either (Breasts Oriented Over Bass Strings), but that goes without saying. Andy - that's BOOBS not boots, the band doesn't have a dress code, and come to think of it I don't have any dresses but I do have boots ...rambling... sorry I got distracted. BTW, I don't think you'll be getting a kiss from Willem anytime soon. But, 'Clogs Sextet'.... it's clever to be sure..., but no very catchy. I think you need something a little shorter.

:P

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic